3DCoat Forums

Houdini 17 Direct Modeling Sneak Peek..

Nossgrr

• Reputable Contributor

I love all that Houdini can do, especially when paired with a cool plugin like the Vox modeling tools. I bought a year subscription of H16 Indie and I tried to learn it, but the problem was, I was trying to learn Modo and Blender, too. It was just too much. Houdini is a great app, but I just couldn't come to terms with that nodal workflow all the time. Nodes are great for Materials and particles, but for everyday modeling, rendering or rigging/CA, it really gets in freaking the way. Installing plugins practically required a coding hack. I've never seen ANY app require plugins to be installed by hacking a text file. That's what sealed it for me. It told me this app is indeed for TD's and not something the average modeler, rigger, animator, texture artist, would want to use on a day to day basis. If you are a VFX artist, who loves to blow stuff up, absolutely, it's your cup of tea. But, it's definitely not for most 3D artists out there, including me...and I was close to going all in on Houdini + Redshift. I just found things that are simple as eating apple pie, in other apps, to be a royal PITA, in Houdini.

I don't want to have to create and hookup a bunch of nodes just to do some test renders, or model a simple object. That's where nodes are a real PITA. Yeah, I get it....proceduralism. But, not everybody wants proceduralism for every single function. It over-complicates things. It would be great if Side Effects created a standard, non-nodal API for many of the toolsets where nodes and proceduralism isn't needed and actually slows down one's workflow. I'm sure they could enable the user to bring up the node network window, if they wanted access to the nodes, but otherwise hide the nodes and let them work with a typical command/attributes panel and Tool Panel, like they are used to in EVERY OTHER APPLICATION.

That's my 2cents worth. Mileage will vary (from one person to another).

• Reputable Contributor
28 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

sorry off topic 

Ranger, if you are learning Blender try Speedflow addon. 

Thanks for sharing that. I already have a few Blender addons, like HardOps, BoxCutter and DecalMachine. Really outstanding modeling tools. I've been waiting til 2.8 get's officially released, before I make the transition.

• Advanced Member

I gotta say 2.8 will be hard on me.. I played with the Alpha and my 2.79 muscle memory betrays me. lol..

I'm sure once I get used to it I wont look back.. I hope most of my addons will get updated to 2.8 also.. 

As for learning Houdini, it's definitely a different beast and I dont think everything translates well to it, but the things it's meant for are really awesome!

• Advanced Member
On 8/25/2018 at 12:16 PM, Nossgrr said:

Really excited about this if they come out with a good set of direct modeling tools in Houdini 17.

Hey she mentions 3D Coat and BEFORE Zbrush when talking about retopoing a high poly mesh.!! 4 min mark

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor

Seems like they took some ideas for Retopo tools, from 3DCoat. I noticed a "Points & Faces" type of tool and the Quads tool. But it appears they built some added functionality to them. I really like Houdini, in terms of what all it can do, I just wish they would build a traditional, non-nodal API for regular artists to work in, with the Node network hidden but accessible, like the schematic view is, in Modo. I think Houdini would soon take over the industry if they did that, because it's so feature rich and exceptional at so many things.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Seems like they took some ideas for Retopo tools, from 3DCoat. I noticed a "Points & Faces" type of tool and the Quads tool. But it appears they built some added functionality to them. I really like Houdini, in terms of what all it can do, I just wish they would build a traditional, non-nodal API for regular artists to work in, with the Node network hidden but accessible, like the schematic view is, in Modo. I think Houdini would soon take over the industry if they did that, because it's so feature rich and exceptional at so many things.

Personally I really like the network/dependency graph/history way of working. It's openly parametric and so any clumsiness in manipulation is more than made up for in sheer power. It's like working in Catia or Seimens NX in that way.

But after watching that video of their new modeling tools I have to say they seem to suck (if that's really all they're offering). I think that Russian guy's (Alex Vanzhula) $100 plug in for Houdini is far better. It's kind of weird that they wasted their time and money making such a disappointing tool set when they should have just gone to Alexey and bought his tool outright from him and hired him as a staff developper. While they're at it they should buy 3D Coat and make Andrew a staff developer and then they'd rule the world. 

But there it is; Alexey has created a MeshFusion for Houdini. Looks great.

https://gumroad.com/l/GVLLSCapture.thumb.JPG.a69519cf08581b232a30ee000dffcbf9.JPG

stff.JPG.2635025634ac71f62d3a675a2b357f04.JPG

• Advanced Member

This is coming in V2..can you do this in MeshFusion in Modo??

Stephen HallquistPLUS1 year ago

Just a thought but shouldn't this be considered something other than what you have going on in Flux? Flux is procedural and as soon as you go in and change the mesh settings for smoothness all the insert mesh stuff would break? Still very cool!

26200429_75x75
Alexey Vanzhula1 year ago

No. Insert Mesh can be procedural or linear tool. Selection places can be converted to bounding regions and you can increase quality of upstream flux nodes without losing of inserted meshes.

• Advanced Member

This plugin is really interesting! Even with the release of H17 direct modeling tools, this might be a good addition. In the second video it reminds me a lot about the Decal Machine addon for Blender but more powerful.. GJ! 

• Advanced Member

What is it with Russian guys? Andrew, this Alexey dude, and Arseniy Korablev over at Polybrush...they're brilliant...they get some mad idea and BAM, they deliver on it. Compare that with the guys over at Silo. Every few months there's some little update where they announce they've corrected some memory leak that's been making it crash in some key operation like it's a big deal and their program isn't an antiquated app that's going nowhere, creatively speaking. 

And Alexey loves giving you all these nice touches, like this one;

filets.JPG.c27790217b6614fa180ce1c278f5ccf9.JPG

• Advanced Member

That image I posted above was modeled by Phillipe von Prueschen. He did an animated short using some of his models made with Alexey's Houdini modeling tools plug in.

https://www.behance.net/cyte

The guy does some excellent work in Houdini.

0e5dc711843616.560323cc95d40.jpg.6ff9fcb5ddd4f53c240291b1823ef9ac.jpg

phillipe.thumb.png.2f825ea5f8ed544a36411e73c7ac1c5d.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 8/30/2018 at 7:30 AM, L'Ancien Regime said:

Personally I really like the network/dependency graph/history way of working. It's openly parametric and so any clumsiness in manipulation is more than made up for in sheer power. It's like working in Catia or Seimens NX in that way.

But after watching that video of their new modeling tools I have to say they seem to suck (if that's really all they're offering). I think that Russian guy's (Alex Vanzhula) $100 plug in for Houdini is far better. It's kind of weird that they wasted their time and money making such a disappointing tool set when they should have just gone to Alexey and bought his tool outright from him and hired him as a staff developper. While they're at it they should buy 3D Coat and make Andrew a staff developer and then they'd rule the world. 

But there it is; Alexey has created a MeshFusion for Houdini. Looks great.

https://gumroad.com/l/GVLLSCapture.thumb.JPG.a69519cf08581b232a30ee000dffcbf9.JPG

stff.JPG.2635025634ac71f62d3a675a2b357f04.JPG

Yeah, he does great work. I was close to buying this plugin, when I had an (annual) license of Houdini 16. I let it expire without renewing because Houdini proved too technical for me, but he is such an asset. What's interesting is that he is Ukranian, too. In fact, he isn't located far from Kiev, where Andrew/Pilgway is. I asked Andrew a while back if he would contact him to try and get him on the Pilgway team. 3D Coat modeling could be incredible if he got involved full time.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

:D:D:D

October 2 downtown Montreal. 

hou.JPG.c9bc4d67a993491bd4fcff53901f79da.JPG

Make sure to represent! Record some footage or an interview. I'm curious if they plan to integrate Flux modeling tools, natively. Would make Houdini more legit as a modeler, straight out of the box

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Nossgrr said:

So tempted to go.. 2 hour drive from where I am. 

I'll let you guys know if I'm able to free myself from work and attend.

Better hurry up and register for the Montreal Houdini Users Group then and if you don't get an invite right away email Chris. It's free, 2 drinks and snacks and these things are often in very cool venues. 

I've been to other industry meetups like this in Vancouver where there were cool door prizes too...like Nvidia graphics cards and shit. I won a $35 hard cover book at one for Maya. 

https://www.meetup.com/pro/houdini

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Man, I wish Houdini wasn't so TD oriented. It's so impressive in more areas than just VFX. 

Somebody once said to me that unless you were an experienced engineer/programmer in image processing from the JPL, then with two years of that very expensive schooling from a place like  Gnomon or VFS, you were looking at 8 to 10 years as an unpaid intern before anybody would even think of giving you a job as a TD.

I"m not sure how true that is but you'd better be from a rich family if you want to be a TD regardless.

• Contributor

I disagree with that person who told you this BS.

You don't need to be an engineer nor a programmer to work with Houdini unless you want to work with Houdini SDK. Or if you want to develop Python tools, but programming background isn't mandatory here IMHO.

In fact, I personally know a couple of TAs and TDs who currently work for major GameDev and film studios and who don't have a technical (IT) background. In fact most of them have a degree in fine arts (or even completely unrelated sciences) and that doesn't hinder them at being absolutely fantastic in handling Houdini. Tools, assets and FX they produce are absolutely astounding.

Regarding working for free, unless you're developing your own project - NEVER EVER work for free. Even as an intern. By doing this you might be working against our community. It not only lowers the average salary for a person who deals in 3D, but also lowers the respect of a potential employer towards all of us and the time we had to spend to learn the skill, knowledge and know-how.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I noticed in the parts that I watched, that they created an easy to use API for certain features, like the Auto-Rig and Facial Auto-Rig, that pretty much let the user work without having to mess with nodes for everything. I hope they keep this up and try to create API's like that, for Modeling and Rendering. For VFX stuff, it would be nice, but that's one area where all nodes is pretty much expected.

I'm seriously considering the renewal of the Indie license and giving it another try, to see if I can get over that learning curve (and working in nodes all the time) hump.