3DCoat Forums

Houdini 17 Direct Modeling Sneak Peek..

Nossgrr

I love Houdini and have slowly been learning the free Apprentice version.  I plan to download the new release soon.

If I was not already monetarily invested in Cinema 4D R20 and was looking to purchase a new 3D program, I would definitely go with Houdini.  However, due to the high cost of 3D software, I cannot justify owning both Cinema 4D and Houdini for my no-revenue generating filmmaking efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I was just rereading that CG Channel article. This is sort of amazing...to see the logic of Houdini's system end up being applied like this to plug in toolkit development so that they're able to be universally applicable across radically different apps..

It’s provided as a Houdini Digital Asset, which means that it should be possible to use it in other DCC applications, including 3ds Max, Cinema 4D and Maya, Unity, via Houdini Engine.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

https://gumroad.com/l/GVLLS/dm_discount

DM 1.5. What's new:

SoftBoolean 1.1 - UI improvements and small optimizations, groups preservation, new soft boolean tools
Geometry Library 1.5 - add elements by the construction plane, filter items with mask, set a material for icon rebuilding operation, UI fully revamped
Menu. fully redesigned menu subsystem. You can now create custom menus with submenus by using a simple Python syntax
Menus are now fully customizable and works much better with HiDPI displays
DM shelf fully redesigned
All tools and HDAs have icons
Lots of new modeling HDAs
Python code is now open
Modeler - a brand new classic modeling environment. From now you can really model in Houdini like in other modeling programs 

• Reputable Contributor
20 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

https://gumroad.com/l/GVLLS/dm_discount

DM 1.5. What's new:

SoftBoolean 1.1 - UI improvements and small optimizations, groups preservation, new soft boolean tools
Geometry Library 1.5 - add elements by the construction plane, filter items with mask, set a material for icon rebuilding operation, UI fully revamped
Menu. fully redesigned menu subsystem. You can now create custom menus with submenus by using a simple Python syntax
Menus are now fully customizable and works much better with HiDPI displays
DM shelf fully redesigned
All tools and HDAs have icons
Lots of new modeling HDAs
Python code is now open
Modeler - a brand new classic modeling environment. From now you can really model in Houdini like in other modeling programs 

I really like his work, but it's a shame he doesn't have some quick start tutorials. Time lapse videos are cool to show the tools in action but they do nothing to show people how to use his plugin. He should try to get someone in the Houdini community to help him create them.

• Contributor

Are there any (slow-paced :)) videos of subdiv hard-surface modeling with this asset? With a comment on which areas this asset shines in and what are some of its drawbacks to be aware of?

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

If you look at the gumroad page it says;

"More videos and tutorials are coming"

And as for " With a comment on which areas this asset shines in and what are some of its drawbacks to be aware of?"

It's funny because I was just watching this video when the ad for DM1.5 arrived in my email. It makes a pretty good enquiry into the use of n-gons in modern modeling and their drawbacks. This Direct Modeling is essentially the same as Groboto's Mesh Fusion in Modo. So there seem to be n-gons galore in this application. Is that a deal killer?

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• 11 months later...