3DCoat Forums

is there a way to crease retopo edges like in Zbrush?

Beddall

Hey,

So my hard surface workflow in Zbrush would usually be to sculpt a rough version of my mesh, then retopo over it a low poly mesh, then crease the edges you want top remain sharp, subdivide a bunch of times. This way you can retain the really nice sharp edges but still have loads of subdivisions. Mainly I would use this on Organic Hard surfaces where bevelling isn't always an option. 

Is there a similar tool or workflow in 3DCoat?  I'm aware of all the tools that allow you to crease edges at the sculpt level AFTER subdividing, but I find these usually give quite 'Blobby' results whereas making the creases at the lowest level of subdivision gives super smooth results. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

cheers

Hey, Thanks for the reply. 

I followed the videos you posted which is what I was actually trying yesterday, but I must be missing a step or doing something incorrectly as when I subdivide the mesh, the bevelled edges don't smooth correctly. In the example pic I have provided, you can see that the subdivisions smooth correctly over the sphere, but on the flat surfaces and the bevelled edges it keeps the shape of the original retopo mesh. It's adding divisions to these parts but no smoothing them at all.  The result of this is an edge that is far from smooth. I can smooth it with the brush, but then I'm back to doing it manually and it looking 'not perfect'. 

Am i going wrong somewhere.. I seem to remember having this problem in the past but i can't remember if I ever solved it or not. 

as always, any help will be greatly appreciated. 

cheers.

Capture.JPG

• 4 weeks later...