3DCoat Forums

New quad auto-retopology algorithm

Metin Seven

• Advanced Member

Hi,

For some reason I can't seem to start a new topic in the Feature Requests section, so I thought to post this here:

The new Quadriflow auto-retopology algorithm looks very promising. It includes an option for sharp edges as well.

It would be fabulous if Instant Meshes could be upgraded to Quadriflow in 3D-Coat. Quadriflow has much less singularities and triangle dead-ends than Instant Meshes, and better support for sharp edges.

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Metin Seven
  • Like 3

I am trying to compile it for Windows and make it available as script (whenever I get free hours here and there). So far Cmake for Windows is giving me troubles finding Threading Building Blocks... :dash2:

If I (ever) get it to run on Windows before Andrew gets it incorporated, I will let the community know. I am not promising anything though.

• Like 1

I got it to work on Debian Linux if anybody is interested in the binary. You may have to install some packages using the Apt manager.

It is better than the current simple retopo. I like Andrew's more since you can specify denser areas. The quadriflow one retopos very good, but evenly. The good thing about it though is you dont seem to get opened surfaces.

Requires

libtbb

libtbbmalloc

libboost_program_options.so

libglpk

libstdc++

libm

libgomp

libgcc_s

libpthread

libc

quadriflow

• Like 1

Thanks for efforts! It is really interesting. In case if we will get executables, it is easy to integrate it in 3D-Coat even without changes in code.

Look the Autoretopo/InstantMeshesAuto/ folder as example, copy it, change files (params.txt contains params to run autoretoper). In this case you will get new retopo method right in Coat's UI.

We tried to compile quadriflow for Windows, we was able, but it hangs if we try to do run it on any mesh....

But if you got it on Mac/Linux - you may easily integrate it in 3DC as I described.

• Like 1

Windows users, using Windows 10:

If you have already installed the anniversary patch, you can "Turn Windows Features On and Off",  enable "Windows Subsystem For Linux". Windows will ask you for a reboot after installation.

Then search for Debian or Ubuntu from the App Store. You get to run Linux distro natively within Windows! Then you can use this new program. I tried that and VirtualBox, but Windows Subsystem for Linux seems much faster.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Makketronics said:

If you have already installed the anniversary patch, you can "Turn Windows Features On and Off".

I did that a number of years ago. I'm now using macOS. :p:

• 2 months later...