3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Is Metalness painting already implemented ?

jtrner

I read this thread on the Releases and Beta forum - https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17685-only-metalness-or-glossiness-while-painting/

Has it already been implemented on the latest version? If not, does anybody have a workaround when painting / adjusting metalness "alone"?

There is a workaround posted on that above thread but its not very intuitive and would just mess all your layers.

• Reputable Contributor

There is a METALNESS parameter in the Toolbar, to the right. Adjust that accordingly and you can apply Metalness as you paint. There is also a METALNESS slider in the LAYER panel, that can be adjusted per layer, like you can with Opacity, Depth, and Glossiness.

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure but seems like its not working at all, at least on my case.

The way I'm doing it is disable the 3 icons (depth, color and roughness/glossiness ball icons) and then press 8 to view my metalness map. Then I would try to paint into my 3d model but nothing is happening. Whatever metalness percentage value, it does not work.

I enabled the roughness, and from there I was able to paint my metalness map. So the metalness is tied to the roughness property?

Is there a way for me to paint metalness in isolated mode without enabling roughness? I think that is the feature that is being requested on the above link that I have provided.

2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

....and you will need some glossiness to see any form of metallic appearance. So, when you are painting metalness, you should have color, glossiness/roughness enabled and adjust the amount of metalness you want.

Yeah, Thanks. That makes sense. And it also works even if I don't enable the color.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Is Metalness painting already implemented ?