3DCoat Forums

Make the Paint Brush and Eraser tool to work even outside the object ?

jtrner

Is there a settings to do this? I checked the customized navigation settings and I don't see an event for it.

Reason is, there are some amazing cracks and wrinkle alphas that I wanted to use on the paint brush and eraser tool but only wanted to utilize the "edge or the perimeter" part of this alphas. Like for manually painting drip effects and the like. Currently, as soon as the center dot of the brush and eraser tool went out of the object, the tools are deactivated.

Basically, I wanted to make the Paint brush or Eraser tool to be active all the time, whether the cursor is inside or outside the object.

To paint outside of mesh borders go to the Camera button on the top right corner of the 3D viewport, then customize.

Find the control for navigating with the only the LMB, and delete it.

Since there is already an event for this nav with Alt+LMB you can still navigate.

Hit ok and paint, just perform as you're wanting it to without navigating.

19 hours ago, Carlosan said:

To paint outside of mesh borders go to the Camera button on the top right corner of the 3D viewport, then customize.

Find the control for navigating with the only the LMB, and delete it.

Since there is already an event for this nav with Alt+LMB you can still navigate.

Hit ok and paint, just perform as you're wanting it to without navigating.

I forgot to mention that I have already tried that. I remove LMB hotkey which mapped to Rotate around Vertical axis event, but it still does not work.

The brush is still getting deactivated when the center cursor is outaide the mesh object, except now that I cannot rotate the viewport because of the removal of LMB hotkey.

• Carlosan changed the title to Make the Paint Brush and Eraser tool to work even outside the object ?

Ok, I just played around the conditions and also tried to use the stamp brush, but unfortunately the brush is still getting deactivated as soon as the center cursor went out the object.

I'm starting to think that this behavior is hard coded in 3d coat. I mean, this is just probably how the brushes and the other tools in 3d coat are designed to behave. 3d coat always assume that when the tool's center cursor is out of the object, it means that you are not planning to use the tool anymore and would be just navigating the viewport (pan, zoom and rotate) so 3d coat will deactivate the tool and you will get a mouse pointer for viewport navigation.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm trying to do. First image is the brush tool is still inside the object so I can paint obviously.

iMMLv1x.jpg

I wanted to move the paint brush a little more further to the right of the object, because I wanted to only paint using those peaks and pointed part of the alpha.

But as I moved the brush tool to the right and the center cursor (yellow line) went out of the object, then the paint brush tool will be deactivated and I would not be able to paint anymore.

dewODrz.jpg 

I hope this help to make things clear and can get some workaround.

Edited by jtrner

Yea 3D-Coat determines the projection angle based on the normal of the surface directly under that center point so it can't work outside of it. The best solution for this would be a brush setting that let you paint normally into a screen space buffer (like in BodyPaint or Mari), or a 'use normal closest to center' option, but currently stamp is probably the closest available alternative.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

ah... ok.

Could you please try Stamp Drag ?

StampDrag.jpg

Cool! Yeah, the stamp mode is still active even if I drag it all the way outside of the mesh object. Solved!

Hopefully there would be a separate settings for this or maybe a new event to trigger this behavior so we can use "all" types of brush modes, as the stamp mode has a bit different painting result compare to a normal brush that has spacing, jitters etc..

4 hours ago, PolyHertz said:

Yea 3D-Coat determines the projection angle based on the normal of the surface directly under that center point so it can't work outside of it. The best solution for this would be a brush setting that let you paint normally into a screen space buffer (like in BodyPaint or Mari), or a 'use normal closest to center' option, but currently stamp is probably the closest available alternative.

Yea, it would be great if 3D coat has an option to do that. Initially I thought I can convert the alpha to a stencil and work it from there but then I realized that stencil is just "mask" and the pixel painting is still dependent on the behavior of the brush that I'm using.