3DCoat Forums

Blue Screen of death (serious system crash)

Tuko92

Hi,

I'm using 3dCoat with the modeling of a 20 millions poly asset and I experiencing BSOD one time in two. Sometime freezing and crashing all the system  after  5 min of work whatever tool i'm using. But sometime it can runs for hours without crashing. If someone has an idea i will appreciate. I check the temp of the CPU and the GPU and it's alright. It append ONLY with 3DCoat

The message of BSOD is WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 

My System run on Windows 10

MB ASUS Z97

I7 4790k@stock

32 Go Ram

GTX 980

Thanks!

3dcoat.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Is it happening with one file or with simple files from the splash screen, too? Are you overclocking? Things like this will happen not only if you are overclocking and run something that stresses your system, but also if your RAM slots are fully populated and you are trying to run them at maximum rated speed. I get crashes too, if I try to get anywhere near the rated 3200mhz, with all slots populated. The manual for your motherboard should tell you that you have to drop the speed down in such a case, to a certain level. I had to drop mine to around 2600-2800mhz with 64GB (4x16GB). If I go with just 2 RAM modules (2 x 16GB) I can run it at full speed (3200mhz).

So, just because a system crashes when a certain app is running, it doesn't mean that app is the culprit. It's probably something else, like a graphics card driver that probably needs to be updated, or a system related issue. I'm not having any such issues, so it's not 3DCoat. 

Thanks for your help.

It happend when I work in voxel with big assets, I can hear the fans of my PC turning faster. My ram is not flooded when i'm in the sculpt room but when i work in the paint room with 4k textures baked (but no crash at this time, only slow pc) . I came back to default mode in the bios but I was not sure if it was overclocked. I add 16go of ram (32 total) but when I had only 16 it was crashing too.

Yesterday I work several hours without crashing but mostly working in surface mode.

Hi, I would recommend doing a full memtest. There could be an issue with ram.

The lowest bank could be ok since your other application (that stay in the lower part of your 16Gb doesnt crash your PC). That could perhaps explain why it crash only with 3D Coat. If you have 32Gb, I think you should have 4 sticks (8Gb per stick). 

A full memtest will determine and confirm if there an issue with your ram. I would do it overnight (8+ hours or more). You can download and get UBCD that contain that tool. You need to boot your PC from it. (CD or USB key)

Edited by ChristianClavet

• Reputable Contributor
On 10/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, Tuko92 said:

Thanks for your help.

It happend when I work in voxel with big assets, I can hear the fans of my PC turning faster. My ram is not flooded when i'm in the sculpt room but when i work in the paint room with 4k textures baked (but no crash at this time, only slow pc) . I came back to default mode in the bios but I was not sure if it was overclocked. I add 16go of ram (32 total) but when I had only 16 it was crashing too.

Yesterday I work several hours without crashing but mostly working in surface mode.

You have to be careful working with voxels because like pixels in Photoshop, the scale of an image is critical. If you start with an image size of 20k, Photoshop's performance will slow to a crawl as well, if not crash, depending on your system resources. Likewise, when you scale an object up in the viewport it increases the density of the object. Surface mode doesn't care, because it's geometry. But Voxels are a different creature. They are volumetric pixels, and work a bit differently.

Hi,

thanks for your help.

I did a memstest pass for 8 hours and nothing is wrong with the ram. So it remains the CPU the GPU or the PSU...but I'm not a computer technician

Sadly I still have some crashes even after reinstalling windows. Yesterday I was only rotating around a mid rez mesh in paint room and guess what, blue screen...

but what is strange is that if the PC does not fail in the first 10 minutes, I am able to work for hours without problems.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Tuko92 said:

Hi,

thanks for your help.

I did a memstest pass for 8 hours and nothing is wrong with the ram. So it remains the CPU the GPU or the PSU...but I'm not a computer technician

Sadly I still have some crashes even after reinstalling windows. Yesterday I was only rotating around a mid rez mesh in paint room and guess what, blue screen...

but what is strange is that if the PC does not fail in the first 10 minutes, I am able to work for hours without problems.

It could simply be Memory timings in your BIOS. Again, I have this happen to me if I try to run my RAM at it's rated 3200mhz speed. When all the DIMM slots are populated, it greatly lowers the maximum amount of speed you can run your memory at. I had to set mine to around 2600-2700...down from the 3200mhz I can run it at, if I have only half the slots populated. I'm not saying that is your specific situation, but it is probably a hardware or hardware driver issue.

Run PRIME'95 for a few hours to stress-test your PC, and see if it crashes. If it does, then you know it is definitely a hardware issue. It might be a good idea to install the latest BIOS version for your motherboard (store the file on a flash drive and use the BIOS flash utility in the BIOS to flash it). Then choose to set your BIOS to default settings. Make sure to update the drivers for your graphics card, and it will probably operate properly thereafter.