3DCoat Forums

Quickest sketch workflow 3dCoat to Octane

GimbalLock

Hi forum,

I often use 3dCoat for creating a voxel sketch, paint textures directly onto the voxels and then render the object in 3dCoat. Done! However, for some projects I need more render features, for example a concept design comprised of multiple buildings etc that need to be aligned with a backplate, have a proper camera etc, so I´d like to move everything over into Octane Render. I know how to do this with a retopo'ed, UV-mapped, properly textured object, but when doing concepts this process takes too long, as many sketches will be discarded early in the process...

So I guess my question is, what is the fastest way to get a voxel model with no UVs but textures painted straight on the voxels into an external render engine? I assume that even Instant Meshes will make me lose the freely painted textures in the process?

Sadly, it doesn't. I suppose Bake+UV is necessary as the only alternative...? Instant meshes is fairly quick I suppose, and even though the mesh looks awful it renders ok.

I'd love to see 3dCoat's render room get a treatment. A lense camera and being able to organize individual objects/lights :)