3DCoat Forums

Any UV stretch tips?

Erza86

Hi 3D coat

it's quite hard or hard to fix stretched uv on 3dc, red and blue means bad and grey is good
when i saw tutor video on youtube, the mr tutor seems to be ignore the color of UV stretch or maybe he does not have a time to fix it while he gave a tutor on youtube
my friend who work on AAA studio said stretched uvs are not tolarated even on the hidden part of the mesh
So any tips? fix it on 3d coat? or all i  need is patience and dedication just like usual?

My friend decide to resign form that studio, because quality control from his supervisor is super tight, he work as texture artist, and have to check for stretched texture for many times. It because the studio has to maintain their credibility in the eyes of AAA client, so the employee has to work so hard. When there is non AAA client came, the employee rejoice and when AAA client came the employee suddenly have super anxiety

So does the little stretched texture forgiven For most of us or only for AAA client?

it's quite hard or hard to fix stretched uv on 3dc.

Can you please attach any pic as example of your current work ?

If you are using automap (unwrap method using at import dialog) uvislands are not as good unwrapped as other methods in retopo room.

Try unwrap again and use Autoscale to keep vertex density uniform on all islands.

Then Relax and Cloth Relax can help, but to make good seams are always the key.

Here is a pic of the face character and its UV
i don't use automap, i just use simple tool like "mark seams and edge loops"
you can see from the uv color, the red and blue for stretched texture, the texture checker on the area of neck, left and right head are completely stretched
i know when i put skin texture, the stretch is slightly visible and not a big problem but that case only work if the texture only plain skin and not other
but if i put something, example a tatoo sometimes or usually the result is jagged or stretched (but not that much)
i found a way to fix this to make the uv color almost grey with very very little red and blue, i just put a lot seams and give no wasting space on UV preview, but i feel the solution is not elegant for 3D artist its like forced idea
with today workflow (painting texture directly on the mesh with 3d coat or substance painter) i think that is not a big problem, but if using yesterday workflow like using 3dsmax or maya my way to fix stretched texture would be hellish, since those software paint the texture with photoshop while the mesh is unwarped, imagine if there is too much uv island and the location of the island is scramble over the uv preview.
so if the uv island still have reasonable seams,size and location and can be re-edit with both method(today and yesterday workflow)  my friend will say "that is a AAA UV Job and the client will smile and nothing more to say"

sorry if i write it too much, i just faced hard experience

ask30.jpg

ask31.jpg