3DCoat Forums

Paint over seams

Richard A.

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Old newbie here..... I need a tutorial on how to paint over seams.  I have a character I'm working on for DAZ Studio.  So the male character has genitals that can be brought in.  I have that object mapped but the pubic area of at the top of the object needs to match the Torso texture.  I did just an OK job in Photoshop and it was suggested that I blend the materials in a 3D paint program or that part of the product won't be acceptable for the store when it's ready to be released.  

So far I have the Genesis 8 Male with it's genital prop conformed, exported at the lowest resolution from DAZ Studio as an obj file. 

I've also got the figures imported into 3D Coat and the needed diffuse maps applied to the figures.

I've got the file saved as a 3D Coat project file. 

I did try to figure it out myself but I made a mess of things so I'm reaching out for a, hopefully, video tutoral on painting over seams and blending maps to look seamless. 

Thanks so much

Richard 

• Advanced Member

Is there a work flow or a video showing this? 

Here is my work flow.  I have a model and another model (the Genitals) exported as one but not conformed as when the gens are conformed it actually hides part of the main torso's geometry.  So in order to keep the full maps for the torso from the figure in place I have to do it that way.  So what I need to do is to have the skin and what hairy bits from the torso transfered to the gens so when they are conformed to the figure they are seamless.  

Hopefully that makes more sense.  It's too bad most forums don't allow nudity as I would post images to show the blatant differences between my attempts in Photoshop, which are not a good match... :-( 

• Advanced Member

Not sure as I don't know the program well enough to evaluate what tools I need to complete this.  I did try the Copy/Paste tool and found it worked OK but still not going to be acceptable to put this product in the store at Renderosity as there are still noticeable seams when I conform the genital prop to the Genesis 8 Male body.  So I've sent this off to a friend to look over since she's more of an expert than I am about this stuff.  

I will check this out though, the description looks like something I can make use of if not for this for other operations! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 4:41 AM, Richard A. said:

Is there a work flow or a video showing this? 

Here is my work flow.  I have a model and another model (the Genitals) exported as one but not conformed as when the gens are conformed it actually hides part of the main torso's geometry.  So in order to keep the full maps for the torso from the figure in place I have to do it that way.  So what I need to do is to have the skin and what hairy bits from the torso transfered to the gens so when they are conformed to the figure they are seamless.  

Hopefully that makes more sense.  It's too bad most forums don't allow nudity as I would post images to show the blatant differences between my attempts in Photoshop, which are not a good match... :-( 

Have been doing some very similar work atm Richard A. I had basically very similar issues getting the clone and copy/paste tools to do their thing over two seperate mashes. What I have essentially done is create four Genesis 8 m/f paint meshes. One of each with and without genitals. The one's with genitals have the genitals welded (preserving the UV's), while having a seamless mesh to work with. The clone and copy/paste tools work to much better effect. The welded geographps were done in Hexagon. Just hide/delete the unneeded polys in Daz and send to Hexagon to weld. Point weld though. A blanket weld of the meshes will just give you a mesh and remove the UV's.

As for your diffuse mats etc, All failing, just create a new set from the exported colour one using FilterForge. There are some real good filters for creating complete sets. Maybe you can import the diffuse ones you have into 3dC, But my experience, you have to basically repeat it all for each one, colour, bump, normals, etc. Was quicker making new ones! :)

Hope this helps you.

Edited by TrevorD
Added text.