3DCoat Forums

normal not showing up in Smart Material Preview window

bisenberger

• Advanced Member

Tiling was off. Clicking it on didn't affect the normal not displaying. I played around with it more last night. It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the normal is displayed in the Smart Material Preview, but most of the time it is not.

• Advanced Member

I have the 3D settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel set to use High-performance NVIDIA processor. I also have Windows 10 Graphics settings to use High performance for 3D-Coat. I can crash 3d Coat by minimizing the screen moving it around and then maximizing. When I maximize it crashes and indicates it is using the Intel HD Graphics, but NVIDIA GPU Activity panel shows 3d-coatdx64x.exe is using the GeForce GTX 860M.

nvidia_GPU_activity.jpg

This is what is indicated in the crash report:

Version:3D-COAT 4.8.25(DX64)
Memory status: OK
pointers: 95282

Video: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

• Advanced Member

Hi Carlosan,

It looks like the issue relates to what channels were on when the normal was created. If the normal was created with color and glossiness turned off, the normal won't show up in the Smart Material Preview. If the normal was created with all 3 channels turned on the normal is displayed in the Smart Material Preview.

normal_creation.jpg