3DCoat Forums
MadMan

Paint without Retopo and UV

Yes as .ply file format.

You can see textures on other app as vertexpaint map.

Sculpt Room 

File > Export > Selected object

Select *.ply file format

Vertex painting refers to interactive editing tools for modifying vertex attributes directly on a 3D polygon mesh, using painting tools similar to any digital painting application but working in a 3D viewport on a perspective view of a rotated model. It is similar to a 3D paint tool but operates specifically to vertex data rather than texture maps.

If you need textures exported as any map, need to perform retopo and bake the vertex paint information to pixels.

Are you using latest version ?

This video is a brief overview of the Integration of the "Instant Meshes" Auto-Retopo engine into 3D Coat, as an option to using 3D Coat's default Auto-Retopo engine.

Can you share the model to take a look ? (PM)

Hi 

I was testing your model. Cant find any issue using 3DC for retopo and bake.

But you need to close all the model holes at sculpt room to get better result. And avoid overlapped geometry, as meshes inside meshes.

Auto.jpg

IM.jpg

h1.jpg

h3.jpg

H2.jpg

Paint.jpg

Please tell me all the steps you made... What are the settings for retopo ? you use autopo ? also what is instant meshes ? and what version of 3DC you have ? cause I am lost. I want to learn those steps. Thank you !

Edited by MadMan

I am using latest version 4.8.28A

I am not using autopo but Instant Meshes implementation, is very easy to use.

Check this post before

I have sent you my version of the project -by wetransfer- to the address you used to register to this forum. please check it

I am first off a complete noob at this! With that said I am trying to add a wood grain texture to a simple model and export it as a textured 3D print (STL). Can anyone give me a run down of what to do. I have watch all the youtube videos and I know I am making this harder than it should be. I basically am not sure if I am importing this the right way. If I add the texture in the paint room (easy enough) and mover to sculpt it seems to be gone.

All I want to do is add wood grain to this file. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction or a video showing the process. 

Wall Base.stl

Hi 

I found these post related to your question, please check them out.

Basically you import the model in 3dCoat for paint in Paint Room, use the autoUVs function, with fill tool fill the entire object and export the model as obj.

- If your printers support vertex color printing. In 3DC you can vertex color paint (polypaint) the sculpt room surface mode models. The vertex color will be exported in the file. several file formats support vertex color. I do not know the file format that your printers support.

I hope I've been useful.

Wall Base with UVs.stl

WallBase-Textures.zip