3DCoat Forums

[Bug] Calculated Curvature on Paint Tiling Planes

Ambershore

Greetings,

I have an issue when calculating  curvature, it shows artifacts on the default 3Dcoat tiling plane (new scene, Paint UV mapped mesh). These artifacts seem related to the tiling planes polygons (3Dcoat's default object, or imported one, same issue).

https://imgur.com/UZJESMM

https://imgur.com/dLARzKS

Any suggestions?

tested on the same version too. I tried interpolated color, and each of the other kind of padding, same issue, halas. It's visible, of course, only when making the curvature map visible (only to check), but of wcourse it makes the smart materials, or any concave/convex condition painting practically unusable.

I even uninstalled, deleted all prefs / documents folders, reinstalled with defaults. the same. 

2018-12-12_132249.jpg

• Advanced Member

@Carlosan Please look closer at your curvature, its bake is wrong in many ways, all artifacts explained by @Ambershore are aligned on geometry's edges. Clearly viewable on his bake as long as he may have used the new curvature bake system (where you can add a long range curvature, which is as issued as AO bake when it comes to bake overlapped UV islands). Look closer to all your geometry's edges, here are all the annoying artifacts. And I've spotted this exact same issue dozens of time but got 0 response nor fixes. And the issue is NOT only viewable on the basic tileplane, in fact, you just need to have overlapped UVs. More overlapped islands leads to even more issues, darker curvature ( instead of a 50% grey on planar surfaces), and also "triangle" artifacts over the whole overlapped areas.

I attached a file of your screen where I spotted parts that baked the wrong way in red. Look closer at them, and no need to tell you that a fix would be more than welcome.

Here are all images I've posted long time ago, and the issue is still here, baking 0 pixel on these edges...

TileIssue.thumb.jpg.941381c89558bcc530d9c25d4bab8c79.jpgTileIssue_Spotted.thumb.jpg.198b3db21282a84db5be8372f3622eba.jpgTileIssue_Spotted_AO.thumb.jpg.2b142d95b42c6d2b5eadf5b3f3359deb.jpg

3DCoat_Issue.tga

Edited by Vexod14
  • Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Calculated Curvature on Paint Tiling Planes
  • Advanced Member

Ow if this issue get fixed, 3DCoat could be even more the software of my dreams (it is already, I guess you know that ^^"). But being able to create tileable stuff without this overlapp issue could be so awesome, and will enable users to do all process inside 3DCoat. I'm so hyped ! More than Xmas ^^

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

It's not only the curvature but I guess the baker itself, AO is bad too and at the exact same places =/

Dev team have reported some improvements on this issue, but it was not enough.

16.04.2019 4.8.38

- Fixed problems related to tiling and filling layer with material.

- Fixed a lot of errors related to curve modifiers and instancing volumes, loading/saving scenes with instances and modifiers.

- Fixed "To uniform + Undo" problem.

- Fixed problem of mesh exploding during extrude faces in retopo room.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi Carlosan !

I've been back on overlapped texture stuff aaaaaaaaand...the issue is partly gone (but just for curvature)
- AO still breaks over the same edge random patterns near seams
- Curvature works fine only if nothing else than the simplest curvature mode (smooth mode fails, long range fails)

Hope this gives some clues to debug this

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

@Picker I'm using it over lowpoly meshes (not on sculpt/voxels. I saw that's possible and interesting at some point, but this doesn't fit my needs which are focused on the paint room ;))