3DCoat Forums

PBR Smart Materials Store !

stas3dc

• Advanced Member

Great but honestly I think this is overwhelming. Who is going to browse through thousands of materials? Not only that, seeing them on a material ball is different than seeing them on the actual model. So you should add a custom model preview directly in 3Dcoat. Or is it already possible? Nonetheless while this is a great way to make extra money, a better way would be to have a material mixer. Basically choose category, metal, then have a bunch of slider that will change the style of the metal. Old, rusty scratched etc etc. this is the smart approach and me as an artists would like to see that and pay for it. Personally I won’t pay for points, spend hours finding the right material. 

Just my thought. 

On 12/17/2018 at 4:34 PM, stas3dc said:

The team behind 3DCoat is excited to present the Beta of our brand new library of scanned PBR-ready Smart Materials today!

Functioning in the Beta mode currently, the dedicated Store of PBR Scans has been revealed!

Impressive collection of high quality surfaces !

The https://materials.3dcoat.com/scans page tends to block the scrolling function so you only can see a few materials at start.
This seems related to the size of the browser window (4k display here) and goes away when resizing to Full HD or less.
Please adjust the responsive design of the page.

Credit card as the only payment method is a restriction that will limit the success of the library and the subscription as only model is a no go for lots of people.
A purchase of packages (points /credits to spend on materials) and PayPal would be a welcome option.

The presentation of the marterials is well done.
I will check the quality of the materials with the free download available.

Thanks for this great reveal !

Regards,

Marcus

Subscription only is a non-starter, especially for the enthusiasts (non-commercial users) who made you successful ... especially for a product like this.  Most of us can do this on our own using our iPhone and software we actually own (Substance Painter / designer and some other free stuff). 

You need to ask yourselves "How much money do "hobbyists" have to spend on monthly subscriptions?"  By the time you pay for anything from AutoDesk (sub only - but they have the big FX houses to support them) or Adobe (again, big FX houses), the monthly budget runs out very quickly.  And do you think those big FX houses are going to go through the expense it requires to change their embedded work flow?  For you? Probably not ...

Remember, it was we enthusiasts and hobbyists that MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL and we will abandon you just as quickly now that your buying in the 'RENTED" software business model.

You need to add a per-item purchase process. I DO purchase individual materials from other websites,  but will not 'subscribe' because I don't do that often enough to justify $228 per year. 

I, for one, will not be purchasing a "Seat" at this table.

Ba- Bye ...

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Good start, have a few questions/feedback:

- I like the layout, seems easy enough to navigate, look forward to seeing the library grow (if it does).

- For the material preview of cloth is that a custom material ball used? I don't remember seeing that one in 3D Coat by default.

- Other than subscription is there a way to buy individual materials or possibly a pack?

- Is there a possibly in the future for users to contribute their own materials to the store to sell as well (maybe a user selling section and 3D Coat gets a small percentage of each sale or something)? Or will this strictly be materials only created by the 3D Coat team?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tycho6 said:

The https://materials.3dcoat.com/scans page tends to block the scrolling function so you only can see a few materials at start.
This seems related to the size of the browser window (4k display here) and goes away when resizing to Full HD or less.
Please adjust the responsive design of the page.

Thanks for reporting this issue. It has to work now. Please check.

• Advanced Member

I also would prefer to buy a set amount of points and just have them for when I need them.  I looked but it didn't seem clear, do the subscription points stack up and are saved for later or is it a monthly limit?  If they are saved to an account that is also a workable model for me.  Otherwise a person has to go through the whole rigmarole of signing up for the months when they need them and then canceling for a the months in which they don't.

• Advanced Member

Hi, First of all great idea and work with store.

I have a questions based of my current tests of The Store and 3d coat v4.8.25  workflow:

1. [ Store related ] It would be possible to add function in store to first select few materials ( like a digital stores bucket style ) and then download all selected as a rar or zip?
I thing that will be more convenient way of grabbing grabbing from store.

2. [ Store related ] When I am trying to preview full screen the material preview using my Mozilla Quantum v 64.0 (64 bit) at my Windows 10 Pro preview is locked to bottom of page and when you browse through hundreds of materials you always need to scroll to bottom to see full screen preview. please test it an see if you are getting the same problem
( please have a look on  attachment no.02)

3. [3d coat v4.8.25 related ] How to import multiple 3dcpacks at ones?
File >  Import Extension - works only for one file at the time - at least for me  ( I am using v4.8.25)
We need option to select let say 150 3dcpack and add them at ones to 3d coat - i think

4. [3d coat v4.8.25 related ]Since now on store we have great full size preview of material ( I am guessing 1024x1024+px) now inside of 3d coat v4.8.25 we missing the same size preview option when you previewing materials in paint room ( please have a look on  attachment no.01)

5. [3d coat v4.8.25 related ]When our libraries of great materials from store will grow inside our 3d coat app we will need some search by name function to quickly find what we need ( for example quickly type "rust" and filter all folders and materials contain word rust) ( please have a look on  attachment no.03)

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

In terms of subscription only model in my opinion I need to agree with few other users that is not the best way to go.

As a small studio we bought a lot of smart materials collections on gumroad in the past when we needed them.

I suggest adding option of point packages: 5,20, 50, 100, 200,300, 500, 1000 because when I have for example a project with due in 2 weeks and I need to quickly paint let say 100 assets 
I can't wait to next mouth when I will get new points.

There will be some months where I weeks need 1000 credits and will be some mouths where I will need none.
Store selling model should reflect that kind of situations also in my opinion.  

And Paypal it is a must in my opinion from accessibility and security reasons.

• Like 1

Agree about subscription....I'd want to be sure it's awesome before I ever consider giving up my Substance subscription.

If there were a few mats I needed for a project and I found them here, I'd pick them up without even thinking about it, but a month subscription? That's a difficult sell.

22 hours ago, MariuszKolo said:

2. [ Store related ] When I am trying to preview full screen the material preview using my Mozilla Quantum v 64.0 (64 bit) at my Windows 10 Pro preview is locked to bottom of page and when you browse through hundreds of materials you always need to scroll to bottom to see full screen preview. please test it an see if you are getting the same problem
( please have a look on  attachment no.02)

Thank you for reporting! 

Sorry, but I can't reproduce this bug. 

What monitor do you use? What screen resolution do you have?

• Advanced Member

dear All developers and staffs.

thank you your hard work. I love 3d-coat.   3D-coat is a part of my life.

3dcoatStore is great news. I will subscribe it.  I will love 3D-coat more.

3dcman.gif.e296ec7ddd5a20f5d946ac9f24dae53d.gif

• Haha 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 12/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, RonK95 said:

Subscription only is a non-starter, especially for the enthusiasts (non-commercial users) who made you successful ... especially for a product like this.  Most of us can do this on our own using our iPhone and software we actually own (Substance Painter / designer and some other free stuff). 

You need to ask yourselves "How much money do "hobbyists" have to spend on monthly subscriptions?"  By the time you pay for anything from AutoDesk (sub only - but they have the big FX houses to support them) or Adobe (again, big FX houses), the monthly budget runs out very quickly.  And do you think those big FX houses are going to go through the expense it requires to change their embedded work flow?  For you? Probably not ...

Remember, it was we enthusiasts and hobbyists that MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL and we will abandon you just as quickly now that your buying in the 'RENTED" software business model.

You need to add a per-item purchase process. I DO purchase individual materials from other websites,  but will not 'subscribe' because I don't do that often enough to justify $228 per year. 

I, for one, will not be purchasing a "Seat" at this table.

Ba- Bye ...

Quote: "THOSE WHO MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL." That's a lot of presumption. You have no idea what demographic is most represented in 3DCoat's userbase. I don't know. Only the Pilgway staff knows. Secondly, who said this service was even intended for hobbyists? It's designed to compete with VRscans and Megascans, and the subscription model is very comparable to Megascans.

If neither of them suit your needs, then this won't either. After all, like you said, you can do it all on your iphone and other software, so it wouldn't be your cup of tea in any capacity.

• Advanced Member

I think the problem for many people in regards to the sub model is it presupposes a certain type of work flow.  But for individuals or small project makers who cover one thing at a time we tend to need a bunch of materials at one time, and then long periods without needing it.  If for instance the points stack from month to month with a sub that would be no problem you just save up enough to grab what you need when you need it, but if you are limited to that amount of points for that month only then it creates a situation where people have to sub long enough to build up an individual library on their computers guessing at what they might need in the future.  To me, as an outsider, I think the pay for points model would make the most sense for lower throughput users, or selling packages etc.  I think if they calculated a higher dollar per point (in comparison to their subscription model) for that kind of sale it would be worthwhile looking into.

In light of the fact that the points accumulate and do not expire, I am planning to purchase an annual Indie subscription, while it is on sale, and save the units for when I need them in the future.

Edited by TXH003
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, these aren't for everybody. Maybe there will be some modules or purchasable packs in the near future, but I think it's clear they are patterned after the High-Quality/High-Resolution Scanned Materials in VRscans or MegaScans. Those, too aren't for everybody. 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, TXH003 said:

In light of the fact that the points accumulate and do not expire, I am planning to purchase an annual Indie subscription, while it is on sale, and save the units for when I need them in the future.

Is that a fact?  I didn't see it anywhere.  If so I would definitely sign up for a bit to gets some points.

Edit:  Ah I see it now!  Thanks for the heads up :)

5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Yeah, these aren't for everybody. Maybe there will be some modules or purchasable packs in the near future, but I think it's clear they are patterned after the High-Quality/High-Resolution Scanned Materials in VRscans or MegaScans. Those, too aren't for everybody. 

I'm just pretty happy they made the store at all.  I truly hate making materials, I have no interest in it, and to have a bunch of stuff available in a native files for 3d coat is just great.

Edited by Falconius

• Reputable Contributor

What about the free materials, are we allowed to use them on assets that we sell ?

Also, once we have installed materials with one license or another, how do we make the distinction in the paint room between what we can use commercially or not ?

And, err... I think a search box in the Smart Materials panel would be sooooooooo convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !
I subscribed for one year with the indie annual subscription plan  . . .

I need materials depending on the projects in different quantities.
Purchasing packages of units would be better therefor. (PayPal as well)

So I will see if this monthly adding units to the account will work out.

Right now I tested some of the materials in 3Dcoat and they are well designed.

The Preview in 3Dcoat could show bigger pictures on mouse over hovering since for example the fabrics structure is not visible at all.

So I have to apply the material to a test object first to find out if it is the type of material needed for the surface.
The store shows better (more detailed) pictures of the smart materials at the moment.

Importing and organizing lots of materials in 3Dcoat should be improved if we use the sbscription and have a growing number of materials to choose when working on surfaces.

Thanks for the new Smart Materials Collection.

I hope it will grow and add options.

Regards

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to PBR Smart Materials Store !