3DCoat Forums

PBR Smart Materials Store !

stas3dc

I'm a new user to 3D coat and i have to say... If i had have known how little smart materials came with the program i would not have purchased it. In the video showcasing it, makes it look like there are hundreds of really cool materials. Disappointing to find out not only that there is only a few, but anyway... this library seems like a good idea, but not if i have to purchase a subscription to use them.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Lizbot said:

I'm a new user to 3D coat and i have to say... If i had have known how little smart materials came with the program i would not have purchased it. In the video showcasing it, makes it look like there are hundreds of really cool materials. Disappointing to find out not only that there is only a few, but anyway... this library seems like a good idea, but not if i have to purchase a subscription to use them.

Smart materials are easy and fun, and fascinating to create.
You could start with materials from these websites, they are public domain : https://cc0textures.com/ https://texturehaven.com/textures/
Create smart materials with several layers and decide how each layer is going to be used, in bumps or cracks, on top, at bottom, etc.
When you need something specific, simply create your own seamless textures, it is easy for example in Krita, press W to tile an image, and use the clone tool to make it seamless.
Then you could use http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ to generate derived maps.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
SM_masks_nl_banner.jpg

The recently announced Store of PBR Scans has been updated with more than 400 new scanned masks available for your download here ! Make your creations better and more realistic with our collection of masks!

We will keep expanding the selection of Scanned Smart Materials, Samples, Masks, Brushes etc regularly, to ensure variety of choice and potential for your creativity. Stay tuned!

Those who missed out on our earlier announcement, we've got a collection of top-quality Scanned PBR Smart Materials, including 40 you can download and try for free!

Please, be informed the Store currently runs in Beta mode, so we'd appreciate to hear your feedback on our forums.

Sincerely yours, 
3DCoat Team

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I have a couple of suggestions.
One is to include more specific tags.  For instance if you are searching for denim or silk like fabrics you have to scroll through a bunch of materials to see them, they are not tagged with what they actually are or what they are made from (like cotton, linen etc.).  This is also the case for others like MTL01728, to me it looks like unpolished stone or granite, but neither of those tags are applied.

And the second is that perhaps there should be a subform to deal with the smart scan store and issues there?  Not sure if there would be enough traffic to justify it, but if not make clear where people should post questions etc. about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 1:55 AM, Falconius said:

I have a couple of suggestions.
One is to include more specific tags.  For instance if you are searching for denim or silk like fabrics you have to scroll through a bunch of materials to see them, they are not tagged with what they actually are or what they are made from (like cotton, linen etc.).  This is also the case for others like MTL01728, to me it looks like unpolished stone or granite, but neither of those tags are applied.

And the second is that perhaps there should be a subform to deal with the smart scan store and issues there?  Not sure if there would be enough traffic to justify it, but if not make clear where people should post questions etc. about it.

Thanks for sharing your feedback Falconius, the tags idea looks reasonable indeed. We'll discuss internally what could be done to improve that.

• Advanced Member

The store is cool and I nice addition to 3DCoat.  I have a friend who works for poliigon and I was asking him if they could create 3DCoat materials, but it was a no go, so something that is specific to this program is great.  

Suggestions

pick several materials/items and add them to a shopping cart while continuing to shop

If I check a filter, the other filters numbers should change dynamically...so when I choose materials, the organics category number should change to reflect the number of organic materials available

Things I am waiting for

-Shaders

-Brushes

-Models

-Retopo Objects

Questions

What do I do with reliefs?

Why have the same material in different resolutions?  Why not just use the higher one and let the user downgrade as necessary?

Not really a materials store question, but why can't we translate materials to shaders and optionally use bulge/cavity for Curvature/AO?  It should be a function in the program.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, gbball said:

Suggestions

pick several materials/items and add them to a shopping cart while continuing to shop

Ah yes I agree with this.  Coupled with this:  I don't know if it's possible (I suspect not) but it would also be great if we could pack up several materials from our library into one 3DCpack and be able to install several materials at once.

• Advanced Member

We can install several materials at once now from separate .3dpack files.  I belive it has been added to the latest beta.  So that helps a bit, but you're right, it'd be nice to download a .3dpack with all the materials from your cart or library and just deal with the one download.

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, an alternative to subscription needs to be offered. I sometimes don’t use 3DC for 6 to 12 months (hobbyist).

Considering the monthly cost for the indie level is 120 credits for $19, an option would be say 100 credits for a one off purchase of the same price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3DC Support said:

Hi all!

Following your requests, we introduce a one-time purchase pack of credits available at our Smart Materials Store. Pay once and pick the materials you need most with the Basic Pack available now! Check out the details here: http://materials.3dcoat.com/buy

Thanks a lot !!!

Smart move !

Great to have both options now.

Much appreciated....   :-)

• Advanced Member

Sorry if i am late to commenting but i have a few suggestions for the store : Each brush or mask or any other images should have  a relevant name and a category since no one in his right mind would browse all these images.

Regarding the subscription model i have nothing against it but including a basic subscription of 120 credits for professional license owner and a 60 credits for indie owner would be great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm going to assume that the PBR Smart Materials section is just closed, or maybe put on hold for much later down the road.

With Substance Source, Poliigon, Quixel, etc.. I think it's awesome to have with 3DC it's really cool for sure, but it seems like no attention has been provided to the section since it's launch and it's still a main feature on the site?

Will in be continued or dropped in the near future?

• 2 months later...

Downloaded free packs yesterday, its awesome and bit speed up my workflow. It would be awesome if the materials store is packed inside the main 3D Coat applications, so we could preview within our projects, and you need to buy to apply the material. It's kinda alright and cool.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to PBR Smart Materials Store Beta !
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 6/21/2020 at 12:32 PM, geo_n said:

This stuff isn't advertised enough. Is this store mentioned in YT, FB, etc?

They don't have a forum section specifically for the store, and they don't pay attention to this thread, I suggest that if you want them to see your suggestion you might have to post it as a topic.

• Reputable Contributor

Since they don't add new things on the store, I think it would help if they opened it up for us to add items, not for sale, I think that would be too complex to set up with all the regulations, but we could add free stuff maybe and thus make the store alive ?

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to PBR Smart Materials Store !