3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Supports for 3D Printing

Omni-Moulage

Hi,

In order to use only one software: 3D-Coat, I would like to know if it is possible to add inside the "Adjust box" the "Supports" tool existing on 3DC-printing.

Unless this is automatically done after buying a 3DC-printing licence ?

Salut,

De façon à n'utiliser qu'un seul logiciel: 3D-Coat, Je voudrais savoir s'il est possible d'ajouter l'outil "support" dans la boite à outil "Ajuster" ?

A moins que celà soit automatiquement fait lorsqu'on achète une licence 3DC-printing ?

3DCoat question.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Supports for 3D Printing
  • Contributor
9 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Create empty file supports.dat in MyDocuments/3D-CoatV48/

Creating supports.dat will also work for users who have the Professional license of 3d-Coat like me? Or is this only for 3DC-Printing users?

I tried to create this file, but as my version is Professional it did not work ...

• Contributor
28 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Yes.

Creating supports.dat will also work for users who have the Professional license of 3d-Coat.

My 3D-Coat installation is based on the coat_data_path File.

I tried putting the file that Andrew spoke in
MyDocuments/3D-CoatV48/    but it did not work ...

Could you instruct me better how can I proceed?
Will I have to put the supports.dat that Andrew said in the Directory folder I wrote inside the coat_data_path?

Or do I have to put the same file (supports.dat) in both places (
MyDocuments/3D-CoatV48/ ) and (the folder of coat_data_path)?

thank you

• Contributor

15 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

...do I have to put the same file (supports.dat) in both places ( MyDocuments/3D-CoatV48/ ) and (the folder of coat_data_path)?

Yes

Great! I put the supports.dat in both directories and the tool appeared.
Thanks a lot for the help!

• Reputable Contributor

What I am saying is that customers/users of the Professional license shouldn't have to go through what amounts to a hack, in order to get a tool that should already appear in the app. 3DC Printing is effectively a cut down version (Sculpt Room) of 3DCoat. Anyone who spends nearly $400 for the Professional license should not have to buy a cut down version of what they already paid for, just to get one useful feature.

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

And for what it's worth, I don't know how to make a blank "supports.dat" file. I tried creating a blank text document and renaming it "supports.dat" but that doesn't work.

....nevermind. I tried it again, this time instead of saving it as an .rtf file first > renaming it, I just selected "text document" from the drop list of file formats > saved as "supports.dat"

Still, it should be a default feature so users don't have to do this. 

• Contributor
11 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

What I am saying is that customers/users of the Professional license shouldn't have to go through what amounts to a hack, in order to get a tool that should already appear in the app. 3DC Printing is effectively a cut down version (Sculpt Room) of 3DCoat. Anyone who spends nearly $400 for the Professional license should not have to buy a cut down version of what they already paid for, just to get one useful feature.

11 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Still, it should be a default feature so users don't have to do this.

IMO, you're right... Supports tool could already been installed by default in the 3d-coat professional license. Just like any other tool or function. The main reason is that all other programs are "subprograms" of the professional version of 3D-Coat.
Another important thing to remember and I do not know if this would have any influence, but when I do this supports.dat file, I have to put it in two different folders due to my installation (coat_data_path file) and honestly I do not know if I will have problems installing a newer version of 3D-Coat.
I think every time when I install a newer version of the program, I will have to create the supports.dat file in the Documments / 3dcoatV8 folder.
If I had not seen this topic (I thank the creator of this topic a lot, thank you @Omni-Moulage), I would never know that I could have the Supports tool in the 3D-Coat Professional license.

Please @Andrew Shpagin and developers, as a matter of common sense, include all the tools and functions by default in the 3D-Coat Professional license.
This way, it would prevent users from reporting to you program errors that users might have attempted to place files on the installation to obtain a tool or function from the program.

By the way, there's a serious Crash ERROR going on with me.
3D-Coat is behaving strangely. When I try to open a splash screen on the surface and voxels mode or file already saved, 3D-Coat displays an instability warning message and a screen appears to save, then a Crash window appears and the 3d-coat closes.

image.thumb.png.6d04b7aacd2106a1acd7010beb535d0c.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor
6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

31.01.2019 4.8.33

- Enabled supports

Could I delete the files that I created (supports.dat) at the followings directories:

Documents\3D-CoatV48
        and
\pathto\3DCoatDataFiles (this directory is the path of the file: coat_data_path.txt of my installation)

Or if I delete, can some problems happen?

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

You can try it. Delete cant add any issue.

Hi  @Carlosan ! I just deleted the supports.dat file from the 2 directories and everything went fine.
3D-Coat opened with the supports tool by default.
Thank you!

• Like 1