3DCoat Forums

Tips for making a Katana?

MetalDevil

Well, I managed to get this far, but now I hit a brick wall. Not sure how to proceed to make the tip of the katana round at the tip, and gets pointy near the top of it. Like how a katana is supposed to look. Unless there's another way to make he blade to begin with? Any suggestions?

katana.PNG

Edited by MetalDevil

I would just use the Cut Off tool (first one listed under 'Adjust' category). With one or more closed splines (or 'curves', if you're using the new beta curves), press 'e' and third icon from the right, on the brush type pop-up.

I'd suggest also doing this in a ortho view (numpad 5), from the side of the blade.

2018-12-30_071705.jpg

• Like 1

I'm able to get a good shape with the method you said, but now I'm not sure how to make it into an actual blade with a sharp looking edge. Similar to how my first photo looked on my first post.  Unless I literally just need to make the block skinnier?

EDIT: Nvm, I figured it out

Capture.PNG

Edited by MetalDevil

• Advanced Member

I've got to be honest.  I'm impressed with what you have managed, but I have to ask why you don't model it in Blender or some other program and then import it for sculpting?

More directly if you are intent on doing the whole thing in the sculpt room I'd try using the cut off tool or hide voxel tool and just try and position the camera the right way to clip away the tip a bit at a time.  With the voxel hide tool you can actually use a brush and may be able to carefully hide it away and then delete hidden when you get what you want.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pickers said:

To make the tip of the blade thinner than the rest of the body, you could "pose" it then scale the side.

ok, I'll try that and see how it comes out. 

For the question about Blender, idk. I guess I've never thought about using blendor for any reason in combination with 3d Coat. 

Edited by MetalDevil

Sorry, I'm back again. but this time I'm having trouble making like a wrap around the handle for the Katana.

This is what I've attempted using curves, but it looks like ass, and using a voxlayer also looks like ass to me because I can't make it look even. lol. and when I attempted to use symmetry it gives me an error using curves.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to attack this?

handle.PNG

I'm basically trying to make it look like this:

20190108_173509.jpg

Edited by MetalDevil