3DCoat Forums

A few newbie qs - Sculpt > Retopo

Turner

Hi everyone,

Just really starting to get into 3D coat even though I should have done it like 6 years ago :)

Anyway, just goofing around learning the program. I am doing vehicle sketches in the Sculpt room with symmetry first. My intent is to bring it to Retopo to create a model with hard edges.

I'm starting with the smallest sphere, but getting a LOT of detail while sculpting that can be smoothed out. I want to be able to reduce the complexity of a lot of the areas that get "sculpting noise" during the process. I've played around with resolution, and tried cloning with less detail, but couldn't get it to work. What's the best way to reduce complexity before bringing into Retopo?

Then, once in Retopo... two main questions.

First, is there a way I can get the model to appear solid? Only seems to be transparent or semi-transparent.

Next, is there a "best" way to select a few polys and "flatten" them out to the same plane? There are a lot of little areas with detail I want to get rid of before adding my own.

Bonus question! In Retopo, how do I "get rid of" the sculpt model and create "final" geometry?

Thanks!

Andrew

The below is the most used way of what you are asking for.

Watch these videos. Start at video 14 which cover autopo and the next 2 manual retopo. 

Keep watching the rest of the videos oh how to bake to the paint room for your normal map and painting your textures.

This series is for the beginner and does not cover all situations... I do not know how your model is laid out or whether you have any object occluding layers. 

The second video will cover how to handle that situation.

On 4/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, Tony Nemo said:

Voxels are like 3D pixels (made of clay, let's say) and are very good for creating a model that needs only surface details added. It is the preferred medium for doing booleans without errors. You can start in surface mode if that is your choice but it really shines when details are to be added (especially with the automatic tessellation used in the  Live Clay tools). 

Follow-up while I'm exploring: I've brought a Sculpt into Retopo with Autopo. No problem.

Went back & edited in Sculpt, and now cannot get any visible results in Retopo room.

Any ideas what might be going on?

I did this previously with a different model, and was able to delete the previous one from the Retopo Objects menu.

thanks!

32 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

In Sculpt, Geometry menu for getting your Retopo mesh. Your retopo mesh is visible in the Sculpt room when using Move, Pose and Transform tools. Make sure your Retopo mesh conforms to your Scu;pt model.

Hi Tony - thanks for the note - 

I mean I am not getting any visible result in the Retopo Room... nothing when I go back to Sculpt, either.

29 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

Try one of the 3 tools that show the mesh in Sculpt. I think the mesh only conforms when these tools are used.

Sorry, still pretty new... not sure which 3 tools those are. That said, If I happened to use them before, it was an accident.