3DCoat Forums

Add 2nd video card to PC

kenmo

• Advanced Member

I presently have a I7-4770 with 32 GB of DDR3 memory with a Nvidia GTX 1060 video card 6 GB vram. It replaced a GTX 750 TI with 4GB vram. I know of SLI and mismatched video cards will not work in SLI.  

However on Sicklefield's  youtube channel she has three mismatched Nvidia cards in her computer for DAZ work.

I've seen posts by other DAZ and Poser artists who have mismatched Nvidia cards claiming it spends up gpu rendering. Again I'm not talking about SLI or AMDs Crossfire.

Will I gain any benefit by adding the GTX 750TI in 3DCoat or Vue?

Cheers & Happy New Year...

• Advanced Member

I posted this a couple days ago in the RTX Nvidia thread near the top of the page; check out the 2070 performace. There's no  NVLink for   the 2070 or SLI. Two of those outperform the 2080Ti 

Two 2070's cost $1300 Cdn

One 2080ti costs $1900  Cdn

So without any other data I'd say the answer to your question would be "YES" at least when it comes to rendering. For gaming I don't know.

vray1.thumb.JPG.03ca31c41a054cb48aade629ad292503.jpg.27d57b6098e389c222f5af191252f672.jpgvray2.JPG.8ee30edaf8c98c14386e24a5212b8417.jpg.ac104dda86a962305d11a03eec972c6b.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

For rendering it will use the cards not in SLI mode.  SLI mode just makes it into one more powerful but less useful card essentially.  I don't think you'll see big difference though with the 750ti helping the 1060, maybe no difference at all.  The 750 is just likely too slow to keep up.  Can always do a couple of benchmark render runs to test  out if the combo is faster though just to be sure.

• Reputable Contributor

Computer graphics applications get no benefit from SLI, and the only benefit you will get from a 2nd card is when using a GPU render engine that supports multiple cards. Let's use Blender's Cycles engine as an example. The 750Ti would be ok to use as your display while letting your 1060 handle the rendering. But it could limit the overall rendering because the card with the smallest amount of RAM sets the maximum amount of RAM the GPU render engine can use, for all of them. So, in that sense the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. That is why it's always best to use cards that are the same. Such as a 1080Ti w/ another 1080ti. Since the 1080 and 1070 both have 8GB of VRAM, you could pair both of them together, no problem. The 1070 is largely a 1080 with fewer CUDA cores.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...the 1060 should be a pretty good card for 3DCoat and Vue, and you would not get any benefit in these apps from adding a 2nd card. If you wanted to use Cycles or ProRender in Blender, to do your (GPU) rendering, then it would. It's effectively like adding a 2nd Render machine/node inside your case. But, you want to make sure that you have a powerful enough Power Supply to handle a 2nd card. Probably a 750W at bare minimum, but 800-1000W would give you the proper headroom. Under load, two cards could pull as much as 250W or more, each. At 500W, that only leaves you with roughly 200W to power everything else. And like all Tech guru's will tell you...NEVER skimp on a power supply. You don't have to waste money, but don't look for the cheapest models you can find. 

• 2 weeks later...