3DCoat Forums

Bad results with airbrush

Albazcythe

Hiya!

I'm loving 3DCoat for painting textures on lowpoly models. It has great tools that makes life a lot easier.
But I'm getting quite frustrated when it comes to handpainting soft shading or blending colors.
I'm trying to use the airbrush to paint some light, smooth shadows, but all I get is ugly noisy results.
Quick example:
3dcAirbrush3.thumb.PNG.c49d0f27d58c88d64ec9f2712f068ef9.PNG

A more isolated example:

3dcAirbrush.thumb.PNG.95a76d97551bfc62cd056c8411d6999c.PNG

It's not a spacing issue, and I've meddled with the other brush settings to no avail, including the Paint with Dabs. 
I just never get smooth-looking strokes unless I paint with more opacity, and even then you can still see the 'bad quality' look. 
Not even smoothing seems to help clean it up, and it's also an extra step that shouldn't be necessary. 
The behavior of the normal brush isn't ideal to do this, apparently, and it can also look bad with light opacity. 
I've noticed banding issues. Is there no dithering?

I'm just not sure if this is normal, or if I just shouldn't be doing things this way. I don't have this problem in other 3D painting software. 

Using version 4.8.25 - win10

Any help appreciated! 
Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Javis said:

Hi!

Try decreasing your spacing down to 5% or lower.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion

I did try that, with 1% even, but it doesn't seem to be the problem:

3dcAirbrush4.thumb.PNG.a92ff2d59a43723e25487228443e1517.PNG

3dcAirbrush5.thumb.PNG.4cd8d780f05f5c0c23770a73532af2d9.PNG

Some extra context just in case: 

Using colors with 20%ish opacity. Using a wacom and going for light strokes. Default Alpha. Flat Shade on. Default sphere template for per pixel painting.
It's as if it's just not blending each sample well enough, but I'm starting to think this is just how it works..
which is sort of a bummer because I can't find the right settings with the normal brush to easily paint nice smooth fading colors.