3DCoat Forums

Some Objects Triangulating On Import

russellfincher

I made a mesh in 3ds Max and want to UV unwrap in 3D Coat. Everything appears to be quads in Max. But when I bring it into 3D Coat, one of the pieces gets triangulated (the skirt, see attached image).

I've even tried triangulating it in Max and Quadrifying it again, and I get the same results.  I've confirmed that triangulate is not check in the FBX Max exporter OR the 3d Coat import settings. If I import the exported FBX back into Max it also remains quads. All other pieces are being imported into 3d Coat as quads. The skirt was originally created in Marvelous Designer and imported into Max to be combined with the character.

Any ideas what's going on? Either something I'm doing in Max, or possibly a way to Quadify this piece in 3d Coat and hope it can return to its original form?

triangulate.jpg

• 1 year later...

So, the solution is to not use a convenient container like .FBX, when it's fairly universal? Import each part as an .obj, unwrap it, then export them all, then re-import to max, make them into an .FBX, and hope they don't retriangulate on re-import to 3DCoat, so you can pack them? That's not helpful.

I'm having this issue too and it's infuriating. 3D artists live and die by deadlines and multiple errors are killing me right now.

P.S. - FBX 2014/2015, nor FBX 2013, (I'm not going to test them all) does nothing helpful in the triangulation regard.