3DCoat Forums

AMD's CEO and CTO on Radeon VII, ray tracing and beyond

Carlosan

• Reputable Contributor
3 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Yeah but that's $344 Cdn. That's an extra $64 for another 100W.  Remember, I'm buying all this stuff with worthless Canadian pesos as I slowly suffocate under a mountain of snow. 

Oh. I see. $344 Canadian is roughly $250 USD

• Reputable Contributor

Did you find a Dark Rock Pro TR4 Cooler, yet? This one on Newegg ships from Germany, but I ordered mine from the EU, as well (Aqua Tuning), and standard priority shipping had it arrive within a week, easily.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V8JH9879&Description=be quiet dark rock pro tr4&cm_re=be_quiet_dark_rock_pro_tr4-_-9SIA68V8JH9879-_-Product

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Did you find a Dark Rock Pro TR4 Cooler, yet? This one on Newegg ships from Germany, but I ordered mine from the EU, as well (Aqua Tuning), and standard priority shipping had it arrive within a week, easily.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V8JH9879&Description=be quiet dark rock pro tr4&cm_re=be_quiet_dark_rock_pro_tr4-_-9SIA68V8JH9879-_-Product

I haven't gone shopping for that yet; next on the agenda is RAM. 64 gigs in 4 sticks of 16GBs. The best I can find is the X399 specific G.Skill 2933MHZ  Flare X. The 3200 MHZ and 3600MHZ are sold out.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

I haven't gone shopping for that yet; next on the agenda is RAM. 64 gigs in 4 sticks of 16GBs. The best I can find is the X399 specific G.Skill 2933MHZ  Flare X. The 3200 MHZ and 3600MHZ are sold out.

You can check your Motherboard's list of compatible RAM. Just grab 4 sticks of the one's I showed you (GSkill Trident Z 3200). They aren't AMD or Intel specific. If you see Intel or AMD in the description, it just means they have been certified to work with those CPU's. This RAM works just fine, at 2933Mhz.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

You can check your Motherboard's list of compatible RAM. Just grab 4 sticks of the one's I showed you (GSkill Trident Z 3200). They aren't AMD or Intel specific. If you see Intel or AMD in the description, it just means they have been certified to work with those CPU's. This RAM works just fine, at 2933Mhz.

No, I'm going with the exact X399 recommended RAM. Why? Because if they don't work properly try getting a refund on used RAM. $880 is a lot of money to risk on it. At this point I'll be going with the g. skill Flare x x399 2933MHz if the 3200 or 3600MHz don't show up. I've been closely following this matter on Level1 Forums and I'm going with Wendell's dictates on this one. There's been  a lot of problems reported in this area with the 2950X and the 2990WX and RAM compatibility.  I suspect it has something to do with the way the CPU is set up with those 4 x  4 core 7nm chiplets with their 14nm I/O die and their memory controller. 

zfoxpthil8321.thumb.png.998211909ba4b7f7444006cb047be8db.png

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor
45 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

No, I'm going with the exact X399 recommended RAM. Why? Because if they don't work properly try getting a refund on used RAM. $880 is a lot of money to risk on it. At this point I'll be going with the g. skill Flare x x399 2933MHz if the 3200 or 3600MHz don't show up. I've been closely following this matter on Level1 Forums and I'm going with Wendell's dictates on this one. There's been  a lot of problems reported in this area with the 2950X and the 2990WX and RAM compatibility.  I suspect it has something to do with the way the CPU is set up with those 4 x  4 core 7nm chiplets with their 14nm I/O die and their memory controller. 

zfoxpthil8321.thumb.png.998211909ba4b7f7444006cb047be8db.png

That's fine. I'm just telling you that the GSkill Trident Z 3200 model I use works great on my TR 1950X and my Motherboard has it listed as compatible. 

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

I hear ya and I appreciate it but I'm all about risk avoidance. 

:)

I understand that, but the truth of the matter is you will either get stuck paying WAY more than you should, for specialty models like that, or have to settle for slower RAM. Check out this pair of 16GB 3200Mhz Corsair modules. On my X399 Gigabyte MB memory list, this very model is on the compatibility list. The 3333mhz model of the very same RAM is on your MB's list.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ORTNI2/ref=psdc_172500_t2_B019X5O7RO

Just get it and if it doesn't work, send it back.

• Advanced Member

I just pulled the trigger on that G. Skill RAM. No regrets. Some guys blow $60k restoring some car. It's not all just dollars and cents; there's an aesthetic there. I'm 65. I'm going to be dead soon. Lots of my friends are kicking the bucket or wish they had kicked the bucket after a bad hip replacement surgery left them limping around in constant pain.  Then there's the sorrow of not being 18 with a 16 year old girlfriend.  But that's not me. I'm going to get this rig and do it right. It may very well be my last rig, my best toy ever.  

When I bought my new house my next rig was at the center of my ideas. It involved running three 4k monitors, 30"+

This is how it's done.  A girlfriend is just going to take my house and bank account and pensions and leave me sleeping under a freeway overpass. I'll have to have a knife fight with some evil bums over who gets to sleep on the abandoned sofa. 

algoresetup.jpg.9613b81841c37a659a5d6c86ab31504a.jpg

I feel sorry for Al though. That desk sucks. I studied the problem of a desk that can accommodate a 3 x 32" 4k monitor setup like this and came up with the ultimate solution; Restoration Hardware's Monastery Table, (AKA Partner  Desk, Library Table), 4' x 10'. Even while I was sleeping in the parking lot waiting to take possession of my house, I was planning its purchase. It looked like it would be $6000 for the table/desk and $1000 for delivery. Then RH sent me an email on their spring sale. I nailed that table for $3750 and $250 delivery. 

imgpsh_fullsize_anim.thumb.jpg.522a8e0a3a7741bf0405e0ad524e2f6e.jpg

This guy built one and it's nowhere near as nice as mine and he regrets not charging $11k USD for it.

My only regret in this build is that it can't be the 2990WX; there's just too many problems with that thing. It's a  mangled Epyc and the performance just doesn't match the extra cost. 

As for the RAM, Wendell at Level1 had this to say;

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/picking-out-the-right-ram-for-2950x-shouldn-t-be-this-hard/132123/12

"See the video we did on 128gb ecc vs non ecc. Extensive benchmarking there. Some surprising results like 128gb of 2933 is faster for most, but not all, things vs 3200 32gb"

Also have a look at this; $999 for a Pro Radeon that's nowhere near the GPU that $699 Radeon VII is.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/02/review-amd-radeon-pro-wx-8200/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cgchannel%2FnHpU+(CG+Channel+-+Entertainment+Production+Art)

190207_RadeonProWX8200_SPECS.jpg.f5271f0764a2e1f5ed42b49c28b51d18.jpg

• Advanced Member
On 2/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, AbnRanger said:

That's cool. I'm pretty budget minded. I'm always looking for the best deal I can find on any component. I'm anxious to see how your Radeon VII performs in rendering and Houdini Sims

My oh my, look what just arrived in the mail!:D:D

20190216_173701.thumb.jpg.4cf5bd4f5d9518ea5f8a85debef70ed2.jpg20190216_173633.thumb.jpg.35bff7806d2d9895e43011c4cacd396d.jpg20190216_180451.thumb.jpg.1497df5391149d9af58dd32986935c92.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

And it looks like at least initially, the NAVI won't be rivaling the 7nm Vega architecture for high powered computing and desktop workstations. NAVI appears to be focused in the near future on gaming, specifically targeting the future consoles.

OTOH the new Ryzen X570 motherboards for Ryzen 3000 desktops will have PCIE gen 4.0

and

The 8 core models can sell for around $199-$299 while the 12 core parts can go for $399 and finally, the 16 core parts can end up around $499. The reason we will be looking at such good prices is that unlike Threadripper CPUs which use a bigger PCB and four dies (based on EPYC layout), the Ryzen CPUs will only be featuring 2 dies and that saves up space and design costs. Also, the 6 core and 4 core parts may end up under the $150-$200 US bracket which would make them an ideal choice for budget users.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-motherboards-and-radeon-navi-gpus-7nm-launch-rumor/

You can never be up to the  moment very long in this technological race. At some point you just have to stop and say what do I need to do the job and then be happy with that.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

And it looks like at least initially, the NAVI won't be rivaling the 7nm Vega architecture for high powered computing and desktop workstations. NAVI appears to be focused in the near future on gaming, specifically targeting the future consoles.

OTOH the new Ryzen X570 motherboards for Ryzen 3000 desktops will have PCIE gen 4.0

and

The 8 core models can sell for around $199-$299 while the 12 core parts can go for $399 and finally, the 16 core parts can end up around $499. The reason we will be looking at such good prices is that unlike Threadripper CPUs which use a bigger PCB and four dies (based on EPYC layout), the Ryzen CPUs will only be featuring 2 dies and that saves up space and design costs. Also, the 6 core and 4 core parts may end up under the $150-$200 US bracket which would make them an ideal choice for budget users.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-motherboards-and-radeon-navi-gpus-7nm-launch-rumor/

You can never be up to the  moment very long in this technological race. At some point you just have to stop and say what do I need to do the job and then be happy with that.

It's a good problem to have. I remember not having ANY real options to upgrade my CPU, for about 5yrs there, until AMD came out with the Ryzen chips. I really wish I had a pile of cash to invest in AMD when I first heard about the Ryzen series. I would be a rich man today, as their stock went up over something like a 1000% once it hit the market.

• Advanced Member

See, 2933 MHz is the top speed supported by Ryzen+ and that G. Skill Flare X399 is ECC. That's why it's pricey. A waste of money? If you're doing something that takes 6 or 8 hours of computation like one of those Houdini simulations you were talking about not having error correcting can cause your system to crash in the middle of its work

https://level1techs.com/video/memory-unleashed-threadripper-128gb-2933-ecc-tested

:)

ryzen.thumb.jpg.5e016fbc47ad6371803db90fc4af1b4d.jpg

The G. Skill is on the way any day now. But I still have some decisions to make about the M2 hard drives and the CPU cooler and the kind of case it will dictate. Basically I want to control the confusion by packing everything into an enclosed server rack (should be up on casters for ventilation and moving it around, like the external UPS, the routers and switches I want to experiment with for Cisco networking, another older server I own, and a hot swappable hard drive storage. So I'm looking for a 4u case and cooling that will fit that. Something like this stuff;

685388308_tp.jpg.93235f5878e6c738a05a3d66fc6339d7.jpg11-147-154-02.jpg.441e5f5eb21f86f6dca0e9ac171f8e8e.jpg

I really want order and an easy to keep clean and dust free setup. But I'm outside my knowledge on this stuff...I'm asking all my server room friends for guidance on this...I think I'd actually prefer not to get into liquid cooling...just to avoid the maintenance..

And then there's the monitors...

• Reputable Contributor

This ThreadRipper has been the most stable CPU I've eve owned and the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro TR4 is the best CPU cooler I've ever owned. I was running a long simulation last night with PhoenixFD. I didn't know if it would take 30min or 3+ hrs, so I went to bed with it cooking. Got up and it was all done, no issues. ECC is mainly for servers, and it's overkill for CG work, IMO.

As for a Case, I'd just get a full sized Tower, with lots of airflow.

• Reputable Contributor

That Corsair 570 looks like something I'd be looking into, if I were assembling a completely new system, today.

But, I have to say, Lian Li makes some of the best cases out there. I used to have one (I have since sold the system)...all black brushed aluminum, and it was such a solid case. No rattles or odd random noises coming from the case (unlike my current NZXT Phantom 630). No more buying cases with cheap plastic anywhere on it. I learned my lesson, well. Lian Li is all about quality materials. Will probably be my next case.

• Advanced Member

Cases are nice but there's the UPS there's a second rig, there's switches and routers and  hard drive storage in one of those hot swap arrays to play with. It turns into a big mess on the table and it becomes a major project to keep it all dust free. A used tower is $250 to $350.

And I'm seriously looking at virtualization. VMWare Server 15 is only about $115 right now. Run that on top of linux. The pass through to hardware like the GPU is so good now that the layer of virtualization only takes up about one CPU cycle, which is really negligible. I'm thinking of two Samsung 970 M2's at 500 GB in RAID 1 and then have everything else offloaded to virtual machines for  VMWare stored on a hard drive outside my main server.  There are other such options to look at. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Yesss...forget gaming...this is a creator's monster GPU.

"This card is the deal of the century"

Wendell, Level 1 :D

Looks to me like it's still available at the Radeon store... (that's in Canadian pesos...it's still $699 USD)

radeon.thumb.JPG.447f4b71c2a7f343069854f7e7bb48b2.JPG

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Yesss...forget gaming...this is a creator's monster GPU.

"This card is the deal of the century"

Wendell, Level 1 :D

Looks to me like it's still available at the Radeon store... (that's in Canadian pesos...it's still $699 USD)

radeon.thumb.JPG.447f4b71c2a7f343069854f7e7bb48b2.JPG

Yeah. It's a good competitor to the 2080, for gamers...so, I don't really understand all the flak from most of the Tech Gurus, who largely ignore it's appeal to Content Creators. That is who I think this card was made for. Those of us who buy gaming cards for our CG work. If I was running a studio that used Blender as it's main pipeline app, this is the card I'd be buying for any new workstations.

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Just about ready to start building this...just waiting for the heat paste though it's already pre applied on that Corsair H100i Platinum.

1130979302_imgpsh_fullsize_anim(1).thumb.jpg.94ce9e39234d7304cb0fc8a83d016786.jpg

I can tell you right now, that Corsair AIO is probably not going to adequately cool the ThreadRipper. Why? Because I had one nearly identical to it, in the H115i, and none of the Corsair coolers cover the full Die Surface. That's why you really should get a cooler specifically designed for Threadripper CPU's. The Dark Rock Pro TR4 cooled MUCH, MUCH better than the H115i. I'm running it on a 4.0Ghz OC, and it's as cool as a cucumber, and super quiet. Even when rendering. My H115i would thermal throttle every time I tried to render.

• Advanced Member

Which corsair H115i was it though?

There's H115i v1, H115i v2, H115i Professional and H115i PLATINUM

Platinums have a totally different cold plate than those first three and yes it does completely cover the Threadripper

My H100i Platinum has the same cold plate but has a 240mm radiator instead of a 280mm radiator.

The Corsair H115i and H100i PLATINUM were released in November 2018.

H115i Pro

HS03UCS_200855_800x800.thumb.jpg.4f263b17a622bff190aa3c2ac4f4e29c.jpg

H115i Platinum

wase-389_wase_389_01_800x800.thumb.jpg.303371af0b176ab993c8c2037e1f9319.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

The one I had was the H115i V2. It has the circular cold plate and came out about 2yrs ago. Granted the new Platinum models seem to be more square, probably to make it more compatible with ThreadRippers, but if you watch the video below, and others that cover Threadripper-specific coolers, their cold plates are considerably larger. The TR die extends well beyond that pre-applied thermal past pattern (on the H100i Platinum) and those screws don't dissipate heat. Point is, it covers more than the circular pattern, but still not full coverage of TR CPU's.

It may work OK, but the Enermax LiqTech is a better option, IMO, if you are set on AIO's. I did a LOT of research on these coolers...like at least a full day or two worth of research...because that H115 was driving me nuts. One day, it would be relatively quiet, and the next day the fans would sound like a jet was heading down the runway. Maybe there was some conflict between the CorsairLink app and other temp monitoring software, but I decided to just go with Air Coolers to avoid such headaches in the future. So glad I did. This Dark Rock Pro TR4 is exactly what the doctor ordered and it checks all the boxes.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h100i-rgb-platinum-cooler,5905-2.html

• Advanced Member

Enermax 1 was a disaster and looks like Enermax II is shaping up as a disaster too judging from the videos and NewEgg and Amazon reviews.  One Enermax 2 review showed a tech opening up the pump and the water block and there was already goop in the heat dissipation vanes in the copper water block plugging things up with signs of rubber washers ready to fail in spots. You'd be lucky to just have it die on you and not flood your motherboard.

here's that review;

This corsair platinum block will work fine for 3  years and by then Corsair will have something better. Corsair is zero maintenance and the least likely to fail or leak

Trust me I've really researched this and it wasn't pleasant. The problem with big air coolers is that they can block off your vital PCIE slots and make doing anything with your RAM a pain. And I'm going to want all those PCIE slots; I'll be getting a used Teradici 2 card for remote graphics over the internet at 60fps and maybe a second  Radeon VII down the line. 

And like I said this is more than a one computer project. I want everything stowed away on a 42u server rack, including the UPS and later a hot swappable hard drive data server with a cheap CPU and mobo running it. And there'll be Cisco switches and routers in the mix for networking studies.

s-l400.jpg.05d882a8a33b74a6b2de082216deed99.jpg

A desktop rig just isn't going to do it for me. Not my fantasy.  If I've made a mistake, there goes $160. Whooee. I was looking at tickets for the Roxy Music concert in Toronto next summer and they're $360 a seat. That's $360 for sitting in a concert for 2 hours. Got to keep things in proportion here.

Damn I'd like to go though...I bet there'll be some good looking women there...

So far I'm actually under budget. I calculated $6000 and I'm only at $5400 Cdn .

• Like 1