3DCoat Forums

color id maps

castaneda

Hi 

That option is not implemented.

If you have the ID map, import it with  Textures > import Layers Colors.

This is the workaround to create a new one.

On 7/11/2017 at 8:30 PM, digman said:

Is the color ID map for 3DC or another application like SP or SD etc...

There is no auto color ID maker in 3DC. I do not know of a script off hand though there might be one or if is possible to script one for 3DC.

You can though use the texture editor window to fill each uv island with a separate base color and then export that has a PSD file for external use using Textures menu--- All layers color. This will save the color map with no bleed on the uv islands. It has been so long since I done this you will have to test yourself. Test a simple object first to save time to see what works.  If you need a single layer image file, you can save the psd file as a png file using the many image editors out there or photoshop.

Maybe someone else will jump in and post here a better or more detailed workflow. 

Here is a video though not in English. It appears he made the color ID map using Photoshop then imported that into 3DC using "All layers color" Maybe it will give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYj69RtmPWA

Remember I am just doing the best to help though it might not meet your specific needs.

The example color ID map image converted to a png file.

The second image is one that is exported in the normal fashion which would include the uv island bleed which is not what you want for a color ID map.

layers2.png

layers3.png

Example:

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks It solve some issue for me. do someone know onother tuttoriall, which actually use color ID map to assgin smart materials or paint texture in 3d coat?

Then I suppose, if  there is way we make color ID map in 3d coat quickly, and apply it without re-import etc? 

If 3d coat offer way in paint room, I suppose it will partially solve material group issue. as temp substitute. 

(I know there should be case avoid many material groups, but use color ID map )

for blender user, I found this tutorial (but how apply is not for 3d coat,,) so I am serching now.

Edited by tokikake

• Reputable Contributor

From the video he appears to be using a form polygon masking. Atm we can not do quite the same way in 3DC.

The below would work best when you need only one material in the exporting. The reason for color id maps, to optimize (less material inputs) just one.

One way: Though as always it might not meet your specific need. Not saying this is fast fast but works and for internal use in 3DC. You can of course export the color id map as I explained above. 

Create a Group Folder. Name it Color IDs I generally place the Color IDs folder right above layer zero to keep it out of the way.

Create Layers under this group  as many as you need for your color IDs.

Fill each layer with a different plain base color according to uv islands or surface materials or objects. However many color id colors you need to mask. Of course several uv islands or surface materials or objects can get the same color on a Color ID layer.  Depends upon your need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a work as you go method.   

Next Use Freeze painted pixels per Color ID layer. Invert the freeze.

Switch to a regular layer apply the smart material to only the unfrozen area. 

I assume you have regular layers already created to receive the smart material or make some.

Rinse and Repeat for each smart material applied.  

You can save freeze states as well and reload them so you do not have to go through the filling process and inverting again if you need to rework an area.

Examine the Freeze menu carefully and see how it fits your needs. Create any short cut keys you need to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note:

My guess at one reason  that Andrew added baking retopo objects and only creating one uv set (surface material for those objects) was optimizing for games. You can combine Grouped objects upon import and then have only one material input for them.  I am happy though he gave us the ability back again to bake surface materials from the paint room vs retopo objects when we need them.

Edited by digman
added information
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member
28 minutes ago, digman said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a work as you go method.   

Next Use Freeze painted pixels per Color ID layer. Invert the freeze.

Switch to a regular layer apply the smart material to only the unfrozen area. 

I assume you have regular layers already created to receive the smart material or make some.

Rinse and Repeat for each smart material applied.  

You can save freeze states as well and reload them so you do not have to go through the filling process and inverting again if you need to rework an area.

Examine the Freeze menu carefully and see how it fits your needs. Create any short cut keys you need to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. as your guide I could see how it works ^^;   But I suppose it seems take more time, than other procedure, ( after generate map with use material group selection,  then gather material group as one in another app. with use test beta) 

Then about this case,  color ID mostly use as  "selection group". So even though we do not use color,

if 3d coat offer way to add new "selection group" in 3d coat, and offer as new tab (like retopo object or like material group, or like paint object)

we can use it without import color ID map, I felt. (I supposed if 3d coat already offer way, at least fill with Color ID map, but it seems not)

I may request "new selection group tool"  it is not material group or UV set etc, just offer more free customaizable group for each faces , as list view.

in mantis again.

(as same as we set vertex group, or material group in another app, or we make retopo group, or UV set  in retopo room etc)

Then if we have new selection group,  I suppose we can use it to generate Color ID map easy..(future request ^^;)  

Anyway thanks you clear guide, so I can avoid to take more time ( serch around hidden option for color ID ^^;  ) 

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 1