3DCoat Forums

LightWave 2019 is out

I haven't tried it yet but it's pretty interesting. It includes a pretty good connection to Unreal Engine and also includes voxels via OpenVDB and sculpting / painting tools. I don't think it's enough to be a competitor to 3D-Coat in that space but still petty cool!

https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/features/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, geo_n said:

I'm selling lightwave 2019 with transfer fee for $695. I have two licenses so I'm selling one. Price will probably go up to $1495 after march from Newtek.

That's definitely a good offer, for anyone considering LW, still. I think it would be a mistake on Newtek's part, to go back up in price, until they have unified the two separate apps, somehow. They are making good progress, but too much of their userbase has already moved on.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I haven't seen any evidence that the price will go up.

What was the normal price for a full lightwave license? I remember it was 1495.

Its 995+tax when there's an upgrade window. For 2019 its up to the end of march and after that it goes back up to normal price.

• Advanced Member

http://www.animationmagazine.net/vfx/lightwave-11-6-nevronmotion-plugin-hit-market/

LightWave 11.6 is priced at $1495 and the NevronMotion plug-in is priced at $299. Registered LightWave 11 customers can upgrade to LightWave 11.6 free of charge; upgrade pricing from LightWave 10 or earlier versions is $695 (USD). Educational pricing is also available.

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, geo_n said:

Indefinitely after the upgrade window?  Still a discount of 300 :D 

Buy 3dcoat with that savings. 

Newtek really should raise the price a bit. 

It's still a good offer, even if $995 is semi-permanent, but I think it's always a bad idea to raise prices when a company is already struggling to remain solvent. I think LW has more to offer on the animation side of things, than Modo,  but Blender 2.8 is going to make life rough for both of them.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

It's still a good offer, even if $995 is semi-permanent, but I think it's always a bad idea to raise prices when a company is already struggling to remain solvent. I think LW has more to offer on the animation side of things, than Modo,  but Blender 2.8 is going to make life rough for both of them.

I think the price is pretty cheap for a full 3d package that can model, animate, render.
You can buy a perpetual license of lightwave equivalent to 3 months of subs from autodesk.  Freelance generalist can do amazing stuff with any of these full 3d packages its down to the skills and experience.  But some people are overpaying for autodesk software imho because you're renting and that's never good. 
Blender is blender. Some people click with it some people won't even with the rewrite. I'm still on 2.79 and won't be moving to 2.8 because its like relearning which I don't have time for. I'd rather travel. :D

1 minute ago, geo_n said:

Freelance generalist can do amazing stuff with any of these full 3d packages its down to the skills and experience.  But some people are overpaying for autodesk software imho because you're renting and that's never good. 

Right, I'm actually in the process of interviewing for a job. I knew their other artist uses max and he seemed OK with me using LightWave as long as the files would transfer over. Friday I had my second interview and one of the other guys asked if I would be OK with learning max. If course I said I would, but didn't like it. But later I was thinking that by having a LightWave artist on the team would be an advantage, not just because of LW but because of more variety of packages means more stuff can be accomplished.

• Reputable Contributor
44 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

Right, I'm actually in the process of interviewing for a job. I knew their other artist uses max and he seemed OK with me using LightWave as long as the files would transfer over. Friday I had my second interview and one of the other guys asked if I would be OK with learning max. If course I said I would, but didn't like it. But later I was thinking that by having a LightWave artist on the team would be an advantage, not just because of LW but because of more variety of packages means more stuff can be accomplished.

Well, that can be a hindrance, since they may want to stick with a certain pipeline, including different Max plugins and such. You staying on Lightwave throws a bit of a wrench into that. If I'm going to a shop that is all C4D, I suck it up and learn C4D.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

You should learn max.  Its what they use, its an opportunity. I've been in 4 studios in almost 20 years and used max, lw, maya, modo at a competent level. You will be more flexible as a cg artist. Compositing with AE was also something I wanted to learn and I did with a guy who worked at ghibili. But now I use hitfilm and the technique transfered well. Be like water :D 

• Like 1