3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Linux installation instructions

Morgs

Hi 3D coaters, just got the Linux demo, but i cant find any installation instructions, I haven't used Linux in a few years so I'm a bit rusty, I'm on Ubuntu 18.10 desktop so I'm assuming you can install a file with apt-get but it doesn't want to work for me.

Regards

Brett

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Linux installation instructions
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Linux installation instructions
  • Contributor

@Morgs: You might also find those instructions helpful. Theyre' about setting up licensing and custom configuration directory:

Also, if I may advice you on manual "installation" location on GNU/Linux systems, I suggest to unpack 3DC into a subdirectory of /opt path. Then create a symbolic link to 3DC executable in /usr/local/bin/.

Reasons:

https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s13.html

https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html

Edited by ajz3d

Hi the guide how to create a shortcut is very useful to get 3DC up and running in Ubuntu based linux distros.

Is there a guide where to install 3dc on linux. I mean which directories it should be installed to.

When I unpack to Home or /opt I end up with 3 folders in my home directory 3D-CoatV3, 3D-CoatV4 & 3D-CoatV4.8. It seems kind of messy and clutters the home folder area or is that normal and how it is designed to be ?

Edited by kevjon

Hi Carlosan,

I copied the tar.gz file to the Desktop and extracted it there. It created a folder on my desktop 3DCoat-4.8.20

I then followed the guide in the previous post to create the 3D-Coat.Desktop & 3D-Coat.sh files and installed them in the directories suggested in the guide.

When I ran the program it still created these folders in the Home directory ( 3D-CoatV3,  3D-CoatV4, 3D-CoatV4.8, Applinks ).

So installing to the desktop is a little bit more messy than installing to the Home directory as I now have a folder on my desktop in addition to 4 extra folders  in Home .

3D coat is running fine but I've emailed Sergii to see if he can provide any information as to where it should be installed. I think that information should be added to the guide.

3 hours ago, kevjon said:

When I ran the program it still created these folders in the Home directory ( 3D-CoatV3,  3D-CoatV4, 3D-CoatV4.8, Applinks ).

These folders are created automatically by "3DCoat" on all platforms and they have such purpose:
1. Folder "3D-CoatV48" contains user data files, like settings, scenes.
2. Folder "AppLinks" is used to exchange with third-party applications/plugins.
3. Folders "3D-CoatV3", "3D-CoatV4" are made for compatibility with some third-party applications/plugins.
To stop "3DCoat" from creating these folder please define environment variable "COAT_FILES_PATH" with full custom path to folder where you want "3DCoat" stores your settings and scenes. Read more here and pay attention to section "Environment variables under Linux" in additional document:

http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/Docs/CustomDocumentsFolder.pdf

Thanks very much Sergyi, very useful information and helps clear up what all the folders are for and where I could install 3D Coat on a linux system.

I've decided to stick with installation in the Home folder, its a little cleaner than installing to the Desktop.

Messing with environment variables, FServer etc is starting to get a little complicated for a relatively new user to Linux.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Linux installation instructions