3DCoat Forums

freeze to dark in sculpt room surface mode

bisenberger

• Advanced Member

Freeze is to dark to distinguish the surface of the selected area. The image below shows what it looks like on my computer and what it looks like on a YouTube video. The way it displays on the YouTube video is much more usable. 3D-Coat 4.8.25(DX64) and 3D-Coat4.8.32(DX64).

freeze.jpg

• Advanced Member

Changing shaders didn't fix it.

Same issue in the paint room. I started a new project with Paint UV Mapped Mesh (Per-Pixel). I double click the sphere didn't change any import settings then used freeze on an area with default layers and same thing.

I tried toggling through the freeze views, but the white and black are completely opaque.

• Advanced Member

After watching this YouTube video a way around this was apparent. One can just create a layer and paint the areas to be frozen and then select Freeze Painted Pixels on that layer. It's also a good way to save selection areas.

The YouTube 3D Coat channel is an excellent resource! :good:

• Haha 1

• Contributor

I agree with @bisenberger Freeze is very dark and makes it very difficult to work that way.

In my opinion Two things that could make life much easier for users related to Freeze:
1) In Surface Mode:
---> Add the same Show / Hide Freeze option that exists in the Freeze menu of the Paint Room also in the Sculpt Room.
This would help in a lot of situations when users work with Freeze in hidden mode, you can see in the image that I demonstrate below.

image.thumb.png.c6a3398773ed192757654399f12e6a7f.png

2) In any Room (Paint Room or Sculpt Room) could have a color opacity function of Freeze, where the user could define a value and this value would influence the degree of freeze opacity on the surface of the mesh.
image.png.2dbf3d71988eefe12941cb5f573f2879.png
As well, it could have a function that the user could set Freeze's color directly in that Freeze menu.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor
6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

If you do not mind, could you add these 3 functions to your created task? Thank you
1--> In any Room (Paint Room or Sculpt Room) could have a color opacity function of Freeze, where the user could define a value and this value would influence the degree of freeze opacity on the surface of the mesh.
image.png.ad4acbcaddc95d77deb66a2c3ff45043.png
2--> As well, it could have a function that the user could set Freeze's color directly in that Freeze menu.

3--> Could also unify in the Sculpt Room the menu of the conditions freeze (Currently located in the Paint Room at the top of the screen).
image.png.5e6c2326e9b097ba51a85fdd3465dfe5.png

• Like 1

I still cant find freeze tool in sculpt room. It is high rank task I believe.  Its like masking workflow in Blender, Zbrush. It is common sense to have it in sculpt room. Not only as part of coat tool or vox layer, but as MASK itself. I need IT to work not only in voxel mode. Now I am obliged to switch between them and lose details.

Edited by Varlam

• Advanced Member

Pretty sure Freeze does not work in Voxels, because of the very nature of what Voxels actually are . You can freeze a surface mesh because its only the outer skin so to speak, where as Voxels are volumetric  so you cant select an 'outer skin' because of all the underlying volumetric geometry.  That is how I understand it, hopefully a techie can put me right and explain it better.

• Contributor
27 minutes ago, digman said:

Here is a shader you can see the underlying structure of the object when using Freeze in surface mode.

You made change the color of the shader to whatever is good for you.

Freeze.3dcpack

@digman Many thanks for the Shader! Very kind of you! This shader helps you see Freeze better.

The only problem with this type of shader is that you lose the ability to rotate the Light around the sculpture (Adjust Light Angle button). It seems that the shader ignores the possibility of rotating the angle of light.

I know it would be another kind of topic, but taking advantage of the moment, in speaking at the angle of light, is it possible to rotate the light vertically (placing the light at the top or under the object)?
Because I can only turn the light sideways on the object.

When I use the angle light button directed upwards, it has the behavior of decreasing the light intensity. It's like I use the button (Adjust the primary Light intensity). Very strange this behavior.

I would very much like to have the freedom to place the light in any angle around the sculpture in order to have a more accurate visualization at the extreme corners of the sculpture (up, down, diagonal and etc).

thank you

• Reputable Contributor

That was an old freeze, I created quite awhile ago. It use to respond to the HDR lighting but something must have change.

Here is one that responds to the HDR lighting.

It is based off the Paint4 shader. 

The paint4 shader works as is for seeing through the freeze but I made this one. You can of course create your own freeze shader based off the paint4 shader.

Freeze_light.3dcpack

• Like 2

• Contributor
1 hour ago, digman said:

The paint4 shader works as is for seeing through the freeze but I made this one. You can of course create your own freeze shader based off the paint4 shader.

Freeze_light.3dcpack

Many thanks for the shader. I will see the shader options and try to configure.

The only thing I can not do since when I started using 3D-Coat is to rotate the light at angles like top, bottom and in diagonal directions. So far, I have not discovered rotating the light freely in 360 degrees, only on the Y axis (light around the sculpture).

Would that be a limitation of 3D-Coat or is there a way that I can freely rotate light at all angles?
Thank you