3DCoat Forums

Thickness and autotopo.

andykarta

Hi all.  I'm making a bodysuit from the mesh of a Daz genesis 2 model in Coat.  I first amputate the arms, head, and feet in Cinema 4 d to create holes in the bodysuit.  Then I import as an obj. Then I auto topologize and it looks aweful.

Just in case it matters I need to import the mesh as a surface object.  Because as a voxel object there is terrible mesh terribleness where the two arms are connected by an unwanted thick mesh between the arms like a big rubber band.  But if I make it a surface and then subdivide to five millionish polygons it goes to voxel just fine.

But autotopo takes forever and often crashes.  

When there is no thickness and the arm head and feet holes are closed, autotop works beyond expectations producing a beautiful mesh.  But I want holes and thickness.  It's a bodysuit.  

Anyone have any ideas.  

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, andykarta said:

Hi all.  I'm making a bodysuit from the mesh of a Daz genesis 2 model in Coat.  I first amputate the arms, head, and feet in Cinema 4 d to create holes in the bodysuit.  Then I import as an obj. Then I auto topologize and it looks aweful.

Just in case it matters I need to import the mesh as a surface object.  Because as a voxel object there is terrible mesh terribleness where the two arms are connected by an unwanted thick mesh between the arms like a big rubber band.  But if I make it a surface and then subdivide to five millionish polygons it goes to voxel just fine.

But autotopo takes forever and often crashes.  

When there is no thickness and the arm head and feet holes are closed, autotop works beyond expectations producing a beautiful mesh.  But I want holes and thickness.  It's a bodysuit.  

Anyone have any ideas.  

Try following these steps:

Thank's @AbnRanger. 

I don't want to seem ungrateful because that is a great technique that I will definitely use.  What the videos say is put a mesh cap on top of the holes and then delete the cap's UV topology.

But you're changing the topology.   And yes I know we're RE TOP OL O GIZING which kind of means the same thing as changing the topology.  But that was the previous step.  We're designing outside of the design phase and I'm trying to learn how to do this animation stuff like a professional so animation people won't point at me and snicker.  That sweater looks like it might have been made in Marvelous Designer (which I just got in December for fifty percent off, and not the unsupported crashy steam version, so yay).  They want you to blend the mesh with he cap so it's smooth.    That's not always possible without destroying the Marvelous Designer goodness like folds and fluffy collars.

You know what, the bottom line is that I'm being a wimp.  The answer to this question is simple.  Just manually retopologize the damn thing (though that's not always possible when you have draping folds either).  Coat has the best retopology tools in artdom.  So yeah, good to know but I guess the answer to my question is stop being lazy and learn to drive a stick. 

Though any other advice on this would be quite welcome.

• Contributor

Animation is usually carried out with low res manual topology but with new. powerful equipement,  it may be possible to animate autopo meshes but there may be problems with elbow, shoulders and other comparable areas. On elbows, knees and fingers, I usually have angled loops that are tight at the outer side (where they don't move much in relation to one another) and and further apart on the inner side like behind the knee. Have loops that conform to movement makes for tidier deformations.

Wow, I get to talk to the experts and the masters.  Why do I not come to this forum more. 

Yeah I'm making a bodysuit so there's extra loops put in the critical areas.  Luckily I don't have to worry about fingers since I amputate the hands.  But I gotta tell you, a 10 thousand poly bodysuit seems to work amazingly well with almost no touchups The only problem is the neckhole.   I got gauntlets to cover the armholes and boots to cover the feet but the neck is really obvious.  I may wind up making a separate collar and rigging it separately.     But even the Daz magus collar which  comes with Daz sometimes deforms wrong in very obvious ways so I'm trying to keep this as a one piece suit.  I may just make a tube, mess with it a little and parent it to the neck bone.  Cuz without the neck autotopo takes minutes, not hours.