3DCoat Forums

Displacement Glitches

• Contributor

Hi I keep getting glitches in creating/painting PPP mode with displacement and not seeing the displacement work almost at all exporting to unity.. for a while I thought it was the texture export config but in the end I compared the mesh output as obj by 3DCoat (which doesn't work) with a displacement compatible mesh from a Unity asset which worked just fine. Unity depending on the model structure will actually add extra verts on import and cause deformities/UV glitches.  I used my 3DCoat textures on the unity displacement object and it works fine.

What I'd like to see 3DCoat create on import and keep on export to low/mid poly is equilateral triangle meshes like the picture below to prevent stretches and other artifacts.

This is the best mesh algorithm to work with displacement maps -in Unity at least.  I've seen the same glitches in iClone as well.

equilateral.png

Lastly I'd like the ability to export textures painted on any  model  that will seamlessly fill in on another object with a solid UV rather than only taking the UV of the unwrapped model -is this currently possible?

This Unity article reveals other issues & requirements needed for Optimal Unity Compatibility. https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/class-Mesh.html

Thanks in advance for any help on the subject you can offer.

• 6 months later...
  • Contributor
On 2/7/2019 at 6:31 AM, Carlosan said:

Issue reported at support@3dcoat.com

Hi Carlosan, just an update. I've found that UVs aren't being fitted tight against the seams/islands .. either on auto UV upon import or in creating custom uVs when creating for 16k. I'm not sure if it can be fixed in 3DCoat, can it?

I see the glitch appear after subdividing to the max in PPP with smoothing on full (setting to tris helps but doesn't fix)  then when i generate Ambient Occlusion, I set the AO layer to emissive to inspect the AO against a dark background to check for glitches.  In the image  below I didn't have to because the glitches are very apparent for this demonstration. I the picture below I used a 3rd party UV generator which gave some of the worst results as seen here but 3dCoat does it as well. The UV was displayed as grey in the Texture window which apparently means it fits the space. An important note: I've also used the  option GU UV in 3DCoat which oddly made my UV appear bright white -although when I subdivided to the max with smoothing it didn't show any seam glitches whatsoever until I started painting with displacement in PPP.

image.thumb.png.89d8ad6b68c10578000bdeb12d4c2386.png

I will update this with one of the 3DCoat generated UVs.. the artifacts are smaller but still noticeable. Can you confirm this with a 16k UV

• 2 months later...