3DCoat Forums

suggesiton (request) for "Custom Grid" and "voxel density"

tokikake

• Advanced Member

I plan to send mail for andrew and support with detail, but untill send DM,   post here I think what is problem,  and how it should be,  and gather some another user feedback so I hope Andrew understand why I request it, more clear.

see my pic please.  this is i simple rectangle obj imported to paint room.  and my current measurement units, and grid setting  is like these pics.Customgrid.thumb.JPG.72321be564123b217aff7ca8fc723c5a.JPG

As you can see,  rectangle height is 2.00meter.  and  "1 units" of "Grid" is 1m. then I divided it as 10, (10cm). it is reasonable and what I hoped to be.

because my current measurement units are set as" Meters" . unitscale set as 1.00 .  (I use paint room geometery for sculpt room to compare)

voxelunit.thumb.JPG.0b10457110e6bc457f31455026c6c357.JPG

Then I set scene scale, off set like this,  that mean I do not hope any change about imported obj.  

scenescalesetting.thumb.JPG.ef4c795f1b7eb0d7713dc25c63162d46.JPG

Next I hope to add another mesh  for current scene.  but hope to change "Voxels per Units" untill add new mesh.  Then change "Voxels per units" from 1.0 to 100. 

voxel100.thumb.JPG.2139100ef541f0f69909de43d12cc3a6.JPG

I suppose it not change current scene,  and  imported rectangle mesh (in paint room, and in voxel room). and  never change grid visualization.

But, 3d coat use this parameter for grid too. it can not be supposed, then we see like below  pic.

vox100grid.thumb.JPG.c4055857803a94cbe53052e276f86412.JPG

now "1 grid length" multiple "100"(voxels per units)!!    I think it is not acceptable.:(   if grid change with "voxel count ( for sculpting only)" , how I can keep visuall infomation of size correctly?

there is no relation between Grid (for scene measurement) size and "Voxel count to adjust dense for sculpting"    and I do not know why it need to be multipled.

suggestion 1:  "isolate voxel per units from grid parameter for visualization"

hope to gather feed back , how other user think about it?   the current 3d coat way is reasonable?  you think, "grid" need to change size, with "voxels per unit"?

If it is approved, and I do not miss something    I hope to report  another problem  about scene scale, unit scale setting too.  (3d coat tend to change user setting  when import obj for new scene. and it cause problem to keep user custom setting)  because  these setting  are related . 

Edited by tokikake
add one more pic

• Applink Developer
Just now, tokikake said:

hope to gather feed back , how other user think about it?   the current 3d coat way is reasonable?  you think, "grid" need to change size, with "voxels per unit"?

I agree. I don't understand why "grid" and "voxels per unit" has this connection ether.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks haikale,,  I am now testing again and again, (of course I do not hope to stick  these  primitive pics in official forum( for artist) , I just  hope to learn more and more technical detail.  of 3d sculpting  ><; ), but I feel it is real pity why I still can not understand these basic tool usage about 3d coat.(my chossed aprication)

Everytime when I start new procject which use imported obj (character)  (I hope to make morph  with detail maps in 3d coat to get more better normal map,,) I got same problem (keep my setting of scale things etc,, ) again and again,, then it make me nervous..

Make good normal map , I need to modify retopo  mesh too. but if I change it hard,, I can not re-use it for default imported character morph.

though if I use texure painting and generate normal map, it is not matter, then I enjoy them,,

my planing is,,  adjust  character base resolution mesh as morph and use it as retopo mesh), then bake detail map from hard sculpted mesh,, so keep scene scale etc, is really important. or it never wrok as morph, of my rigged  character,again, ><:

• Advanced Member

I hope to add next suggestion (rezuest), it is more simple problem.  even though voxels per unit not work (or grid setting), I can keep my measurement setting.

so if I ignore grid,, it may not cause big problem.  But change setting without user notice is bad.:(

Now I delete these obj (in paint room, and in sculpt room)  from current scene (already saved), but keep 3d coat open. 

About most of aprication, once user set scale things, (measurement unit scale unit etc,,) the setting are used untill user close aprication.  

and import mesh do not means, make new scene. but if I use "File > import> for per pixel painting"   and import same obj,

now I can see measurement units seems return as "mm". but my custom grid setting is same.

newimport.thumb.JPG.af216332f82b1e411b1cf098567a2710.JPG

Is there any merit, 3d coat auto-change user setting as default?  

and measurement unit is important , to see actual size.. but if it change units without intention, why we need measurement tool? 

Digman kindly  already offer way to keep, these setting, he suggest do not use "import" but  use "import object". 

but once I delete all paint object from current scene, the menu have gone away, untill I import new obj again

that means, just to keep user setting, we need to keep mesh even though we need not anymore. it simply cause trouble, or cause mistake when we wrok with many objects.

And it not only change about measurement units (M to mm), but change scene scale too. (I hope to keep it as 1. never hope it change again, untill I need it)

newscenescale.thumb.JPG.b4f133f32055403de55ba0b8d85dcfbe.JPG

the scene scale seems auto adjust (I do not know, how it work though) value.  I really annoying, why I need to reset them again and again everytime import mesh? 

what is purpose, 3d coat auto-change these setting value?

suggeston (requset 2) :   Please do not change any setting of "measurement unit"," voxel per units", "unit scale", "scene scale" "scene off-set values(x y z)"  untill user change it by themself ,  just use same value. 

And please offer way to keep these setting as start file, or as setting value of user preference .Most of User do not hope 3d coat auto set these value whch user decided once. And hope way to keep these settings as default.

that means when we start new scene, or import mesh for anyroom, these settings (which user decide) are used. untill we change them manually. it is standard manner of any aprication, I think so. is not it?:unsure:

Of course I know Andrew and support team gradually improve about these setting things for user request. I actually offer almost same request in mantis too. and I see quite a few user already offered same report, then sometimes it change somehow, and set as resolved but after all remain some problem.

I do not hope to request or bug report about same things. but it is really important (and basic thing) for user experience I believe. please  test carefully and understand why it is  problem that 3d coat auto set these values.  it is not expected at all. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Please send that mail, this is know issue with the current workflow.

Thanks you confrim too. But at  same time, I happend to find this clipping issue when I set scene scale as 1.00 before, I often see it, when I try to import mesh from blender, with  my setting. 

Camera looks inside object when it's close, instead on surface

I afraid, if andrew change 3d coat keep scene scale 1.00 as I requested when I import obj (which use measurement unit as "Meter"),  this clipping issue will happen.

Could you test with my  3d coat file attached above link(my last reply) , and can confrim, clipping issue happen with your pc too?

I suspect at current, 3d coat must need to change scene scale when user  import "small  value size obj" ( eg bounding box, x=2, y=2, z=2)  

3d coat treat the obj too small , then  auto scale it.    Change Measurement units work to show size correctly, but it is only matter with measurement tool.then clipping problem still happen if user froce scene scale as 1.00 

Then if "request 2" is solved, at same time clipping issue (low size units value mesh) need to be solved too. or many blender user see same problem.when export obj and use scene scale as 1.00 in 3d coat.   I think, clipping issue is more serious problem, once it happen I can not use any brush with close up.

Edited by tokikake

• Reputable Contributor
On 2/15/2019 at 4:16 AM, tokikake said:

Digman kindly  already offer way to keep, these setting, he suggest do not use "import" but  use "import object". 

but once I delete all paint object from current scene, the menu have gone away, untill I import new obj again

I had uploaded a file that has a holder cube in the paint room to keep scale. In my instructions I stated that you can delete the holder cube after you have imported another model. You can not delete all paint objects from the room or you will lose scale. It is meant only as a workaround that will work till we get the ability to set scale and not have 3DC change it. This was for the paint room importing only.

I whole heartily agree that 3DC needs for the user to be able define scale, measurements, grid etc without 3DC changing it.

The settings could be put under the Preference menu  as your default settings when loading 3DC. 

Selection box 1. Use 3DC loading as it now. This is the default.

Selection box 2. Use your predefined settings and 3DC will not change them. 

• Advanced Member

To Carlosan,

Thank you  taking your time for this test.   So now I can confirm, small unit  mesh cause clipping issue when we set scene scale as 1.00, and at current 3d coat can not adjust it by "Near plane modulator", or orthographic view.  it need to report with other suggestion.

To Digman

Yes. of course your guide is correct. I know you mentioned, to keep obj untill import next one in paint room. I just hope to say, 3d coat need to be improved, even though your workflow and guide work well .Why I bother "import object" with keep one mesh in paintroom, I found another unvset  problem. it tend to cause wrong UVset name for UDIM UV . It  exchange UVtile number. 1001 to 1008 etc.  It seems not happen when I use "Import".  I happend to find it, when I need to import multiple UDIM object in paint room with use "import" option.  It need to be reported too.

Anyway, I send report to support , . hope they have more  time to check these things with test.

• Like 1