3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Need help in texturing

PredTeck

Greetings!
I'm relatively new to 3DCoat and i'd like to get some help.
I'd like to "paint" some bolts into the model in one layer, got the alphas needed for it (some bolt alphas from the net). I paint it as depth checked only, after that i create the occlusion and curvature map.
My question is: how can i add materials only for these alphas? If i "Fill whole layer" the whole model gets painted, but that is not what i needed. I want the bolts to be different material, and the base another one, ect.
I know i can paint them afterwards one by one, but with hundreds of bolt, that could take a reaaaaaly long time.

• Reputable Contributor

You will need to use the Freeze painted pixels option. You did not state how many surface materials or paint objects you have. 

I will give the process for just one material and one paint object. Once you know the process then you can figure the rest out.

The below is one way.

You will be using Color as mask.

Create a layer and fill your base layer with a flat color.

Create a new layer.

Now create your bolts on the new layer with depth plus a flat color has well for the bolts.  In the alpha it needs a sharp falloff and no falloff selected in the top menu of 3DC. This is necessary to get a sharp transition between the bolt and the underlaying surface. Of course you can feather the transition if you need to. 

Now, hide the base layer with color which will now become to 3DC transparent pixels.

Select the layer with the bolts.

Use the freeze painted pixels under the freeze menu or create a short cut for it. 

Or use the Left mouse button / Ctrl key hovering over a layer with the mouse cursor, it will freeze all transparent pixels in all layers that have transparent pixels.  

Shift-Control-I to reverse the freeze.

You are ready to fill all the bolts with your smart material. 

Side Note: I create flat color layers for masking purposes.  If depth is needed at the same time I create the depth too.

color mask.jpg

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Need help in texturing