3DCoat Forums

Is there option to direct edit baking cage (shell)?

tokikake

• Advanced Member

I like current way to edit baking shell by simple brushes. (it seems easy enough)

, but I sometimes need more precisework to adjust baking cage (inner and outer) for  some detail area.

and about some faces,, how many times,  I tweak  brush and change option,, I can not adjust shell correctly..then generate normal clear show problem about

these area.  

I felt before,, maybe veteran user can manage it easy,, but  when I saw training video ,  felt 3d coat trainner feel  almost same problem,, ;)

do not you think it seems not so easy?  

edit shell cage with brush (3d coat training video)

(he seems feel  difficulity adjust shell  around eye mouse etc,,,even tough he  change brush setting,,and it is what I often struggle, and feel problem) 

about these area, I really hope to directly edit cage edge ,, faces,,, with gizmo,, like move retopo object,,,  I only need move  with more precise direction.

sometimes when I brush those concave  area, it not work as I expected,, (strech out in, but not work as normal direction)

So,, can I expect,, if we can direct edit with gizmo some edge of baking cage shells when adjust baking shell ?   

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry, its not possible atm.

May better to request? :)

I hope to know other user how manage when adjust cage for some concave detail area of retopo mesh.

I understand, I can divide part in retopo room as different object with UV sets, but sometimes those concave area faces are connected, then I do not hope to touch them. Then when I try to edit cage (inner and outer) , I can not edit as I need with current brush (most case it work well, but concave with hard angle area easy cause issue, when adjust cage,, like the training video,, even though I opositte brash direction with really small size brush.

So I suspect, if we can use brash, maybe we can do samething with gizmo theoretically, (because there seems already cage data (inner and outer) as mesh -data.. )  or, if brush can edit shell vertices , I suppose, we can import cage as mesh data.. (eg if I really need to make perfect bake cage,, I may edit in another editor, then import obj or FBX as cage,..  

• Advanced Member

I'm just talking about the baking cages.  It'd be nice to export them for use externally (baking externally or tweaking in a different package).  Also being able to import your own bake cage into 3D Coat would also be helpful.  Of course, it could be the same mesh.  Right now there is no way of editing the bake cage meshes with the retopo tools.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, gbball said:

I'm just talking about the baking cages.  It'd be nice to export them for use externally (baking externally or tweaking in a different package).  Also being able to import your own bake cage into 3D Coat would also be helpful.  Of course, it could be the same mesh.  Right now there is no way of editing the bake cage meshes with the retopo tools.

I understand. I was talking about any future updates to include vertex level editing of the baking cages, with the built in retopo modeling tools, so you don't need to export and re-import them.

• Advanced Member

I may need not add my view any more,,,^_^

but as we know even though 3D coat is great tool  for sculpt and paint, it never means we can model as same as other modeling tools  in retopo room. 

to be frankly said, I may not plan, start modeling in 3d coat retopo room,, 

(start sculpt in 3d coat and retopo in retopo room)   I have many requests about retopo room and edit geometry room( tweak room)  which make us more exciting.

At  current after all, we can not use built in retopo modeling tools  to edit cage,,   so I hope

1. future release will offer way to direct edit baking cage (inner and outer).

2 if  1 is dififcult (or cause performance issue  etc,,I do not know,,) for a while,,   as subistitute,,

Hope 3d coat offer option to export and import shell as mesh for edit some part in modeling tools which  user hope to use.

I really like ,3d coat offer option to edit  inner and outer shell for baking by brush, so hope go foward,,,  

Though most of case I only need some vertex move of shells after tweak with brash,,