3DCoat Forums

how to fill real holes in sculpt

majora

hello,

how would you approach to fill the holes shown in the attached picture ?

the object it is not voxelated, so i am dealing with the polygons.

it is a collar..   please dont mind the noise and other things.

thank you very much!

Screenshot 2019-03-09 18.23.22.png

• Contributor

It's been a while since I used 3D Coat, so perhaps someone will offer a better solution.

There is a Geometry->Close Holes command that I think is capable of closing holes that make the geometry non-manifold. There's also a Fill Holes tool that does a similar thing.

However, judging from your screenshot, it looks that the holes you have, or at least some of them - as seen from this angle, do not make the mesh non-uniform. In this case I can think of two workflows.

The first one is to convert the collar to voxels and use Fill tool. By massaging around the holes you will get the points of the mesh merge together and form a continuous geometry. But - it works best on flat surfaces and you will loose some surface detail on surface to voxels conversion. Also, on curved areas you will get a visible deformation in the surface.

The second, and probably a better idea, is to retopologize the collar in the Retopo Room. Subdivide it a couple of times to make it better conform with the reference surface details (and correct points that fall into the holes) and then import it (via Import tool) in the Sculpt room.

thanks for those suggestions!

yes, the holes have good geometry, so the fill holes tool can not recognize them.

(its like tunnels connecting the inside and outside surface)

so it is possible to disconnect the collar and voxelize online that, and bring it back to geometry after ? 

i will look into that.

also good idea to go for the retopo route!  i look into that too.

thanks again for the hints!