3DCoat Forums

Small UI tweak mockup

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

I've been asking Andrew for a long time to make some small changes to the Workspace tabs, including the order, so that it makes more sense to new users. Right now, there is no clear order or logical grouping of related workspaces. I finally took some time to create a few mockups of what I thought those changes should look like. Feel free to add your input, but this is just for Workspace tabs, for now. Other parts of the UI can be discussed at a later time. Andrew gets a bit frustrated if I or anyone else tries to pile on too much to an already full plate. A big UI overhaul is probably not in the cards, right now. 

I changed the order a little bit, grouping Paint/Tweak/UV together since they all work on Paint Objects. I added a small divider between those and the rest of the tabs. For the others, I started w/ the Sculpt Workspace > Retopo > Render. The first attached image is the current UI. There rest are the mockups. 

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_Current.jpg

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_03.jpg

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_04.jpg

3DC UI Tabs Mockup_05.jpg

• Like 1

I've been asking Andrew too. This is the source of continious problems: New users dont understand that Paint Objects, Retopo Objects and Sculpt Objects are not the same, they are not connected.

And if will it ever be possible to work in a future version that unifies the workflow and allows us to work in one single mesh in all the rooms, and stop working with rooms and work on menu sets.

- As example Maya -

All other menus change depending on the menu set you select: Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Dynamics, Rendering. Each menu set is designed to support a particular workflow.

09328d2b.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor
52 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

I've been asking Andrew too. This is the source of continious problems: New users dont understand that Paint Objects, Retopo Objects and Sculpt Objects are not the same, they are not connected.

And if will it ever be possible to work in a future version that unifies the workflow and allows us to work in one single mesh in all the rooms, and stop working with rooms and work on menu sets.

- As example Maya -

All other menus change depending on the menu set you select: Modeling, Rigging, Animation, Dynamics, Rendering. Each menu set is designed to support a particular workflow.

09328d2b.jpeg

That's why I asked Andrew to consolidate PAINT MESH & RETOPO Meshes, so it simplifies the workflow and the UI dramatically. That way, he could get rid of the Tweak Room and the UV Room would be the only workspace for working on UV's...which is the only logical place for it. The Retopo Room would be TOPO room...where you could edit your Paint Mesh, or do some base sculpting (like the Tweak Room). 3 Mesh types are too many.

I'm fine with Sculpt Meshes being separate because it is so different than working with Quads. But there should only be Low Poly and High Poly/Voxel Objects.