3DCoat Forums

Best way to keep sharp edges ?

Remi

Hello,

I'm using 3D Coat for a couple of months and there is something I can't find on any topic or tutorials : keeping sharp edges on a complex mesh.

My workflow is :
- sculpting in voxel all the parts of my mesh (let's say several steps from the stairs of an old temple)
- merging them in voxel
- finishing details in surface mode

The issue is : when I'm merging the parts, all the edges are smoothed and lose their sharpness

I was thinking about merging the parts once in surface mode, but the merging process is extremely long.

I also tried Angulator Tool and Pinch Tool. Pinch Tool is working quite well but it's very time consuming when you have to produce so many assets for a project.

Most of tutorials just say "increase dramatically voxel density before merging". Might work for a human size project but not for a whole building.

Any idea ? :)

Thank you in advance.

voxel_merge.PNG

Hey,

15 minutes ago, animk said:

Or try remeshing to higher resolution in voxel before merging

Yes that's what I am actually doing. Problem is I have some big elements and the polycount easily explodes.

Tried some stuffs all the evening. The best approach I've found is to work at higher resolution + use Angulator once in surface mode. Angulator process can be quite slow with high polycount though.

Was actually wondering if it's always necessary to merge elements to get a proper bake on a low poly ?

• Advanced Member
18 minutes ago, Remi said:

Hey,

Yes that's what I am actually doing. Problem is I have some big elements and the polycount easily explodes.

Tried some stuffs all the evening. The best approach I've found is to work at higher resolution + use Angulator once in surface mode. Angulator process can be quite slow with high polycount though.

Was actually wondering if it's always necessary to merge elements to get a proper bake on a low poly ?

Have you tried merging in surface mode?  Switching from voxel to surface mode preserves all details. From what I see in your image, it should work.  Let two surfaces slightly overlap each other to get rid of the gap between them before merging.

Edited by animk

9 hours ago, animk said:

Have you tried merging in surface mode?

Yes I tried. Feel like results are quite random. Sometimes one of the surface disappears if I merge them (must be the overlap). Also tried "merge (no booleans)" but I suppose this is not the best way since it preserves polygons inside the mesh after the merge.

As I see there are several options for merging. Still I'm surprised there is no proper workflow for such a frequent task.  :(