3DCoat Forums

Retopo Room - Next Steps

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Thanks, but these pictures didn't really convince me. Although in some places it looks impressive.
Let's take your video where you are using Quad Remesh.

You may try model chess from site here model you may download and test how 3dcoat will make retopo 
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/chess-rook-b7cf2ea41d22496882fcfa811f5f8b4c?sscid=81k5_n9t22
in many case quad remesher works better, it represent hard edges way better, and in some some complex cases

5a25b94a1cec5bf53f8ebf79bca89eab.jpeg

Edited by Carlosan
edited
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 8/23/2021 at 4:21 AM, sprayer said:

Sorry wrong second video

Love Arrimus 3D channel. Like Abranger & JoshjGambrell (part of the Blender Bros team) an awesome instructor. These three are some of the very best.

Edited by kenmo

Hi Gorbatovsky,

One thing I have been considering the logic of, is linking the sculpting process with the retop process for closer auto retop.

by this I mean that if the user "uses" shapes to build up a surface (eg. sphere on a ground plane)

the objects (eg. Sphere and Plane) are kept as a reference to build in retop , with some boolean logic running behind the scenes.

the basic premise is that the shapes used to build are used as a guide for the retop.

just another 0.2$

Cheers

Curt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'd like to see a color representation near each retopo layrer, like this

And be able to chenge color by clicking color near the layer name.

PdgCXCz.png

Because it's hard to navigate along numerous layers.

Also, will be great to have an option like Photoshop has, when I can click and drug to hide/unhide all layers.

Now I have to click each layer one by one.

yJXcKM3.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, digman said:

3DC has color reference but a little different.

Right mouse click on  polygroup/retopo layer and select Reference Color. Choose color. 

color.jpg

It's now exactly what I'm looking for.

If I setup  a Poly Group color it doesn't update actual color and I can't navigate laers by the color mark.

2og5NI5.png

• Reputable Contributor

Ah, you want the color to match the retopo mesh as well. That would be a feature request.

You can hide all the layers but the one you are on by holding down the (alt key)  and clicking the eye icon. 

There is a workaround. when choosing a color you can hover over the retopo mesh color with the plus cursor and press the "V" key. 

I choose vertex mode and select mode and I get a clean plus cursor for choosing a color over the retopo mesh.

Select no checker to get a solid color retopo mesh color.

• Reputable Contributor

Gradient (Soft) Selection is a core feature in ALL 3D modeling toolsets...except 3DCoat. I have been asking Andrew for this several years now. It is critical to modeling, as it allows the user to make fine adjustments to entire sections of a model, without having to move vertices, edges and polys in such a strict fashion. Not having Gradient Selection functionality in a Modeling toolset is like eating cereal without the milk. It is critical.

Anybody else want to see Gradient Selection added or is it just me? 

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

@Andrew Tsymbal.

I forgot to mention that with a small brush radius you can select a polygroup or a uv island by clicking in the center of a polygon in the viewport. It will switch to that polygroup and the uv island that resides in that polygroup or it no uv set created yet will switch the polygroup.

14 hours ago, digman said:

@Andrew Tsymbal.

I forgot to mention that with a small brush radius you can select a polygroup or a uv island by clicking in the center of a polygon in the viewport. It will switch to that polygroup and the uv island that resides in that polygroup or it no uv set created yet will switch the polygroup.

Thanks for the explanation!

Any advice on the Custom Texture (Checker) tiling in the viewport?

• Advanced Member
On 9/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, AbnRanger said:

Gradient (Soft) Selection is a core feature in ALL 3D modeling toolsets...except 3DCoat. I have been asking Andrew for this several years now. It is critical to modeling, as it allows the user to make fine adjustments to entire sections of a model, without having to move vertices, edges and polys in such a strict fashion. Not having Gradient Selection functionality in a Modeling toolset is like eating cereal without the milk. It is critical.

Anybody else want to see Gradient Selection added or is it just me? 

Absolutely.  I would argue that it's an important option for polymeshes in the model/retopo spaces as well as in the sculpting space.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

"Any advice on the Custom Texture (Checker) tiling in the viewport?"

No internal tilling of the imported uv texture checker(image) that I know of other than use a different custom checker that is closer to what you want.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey there Alex. Thanks for all your work on 3DCoat's retopo tools! I'm noticing something that seems to be an issue from past versions. Was hoping you could help. 

Using imported retopo meshes from other apps seems to eliminate the full Tweak toolset capabilities: example - Brush tool smooth does not relax the mesh anymore; Slide Edges tool will not slide edge loops with CTRL pressed; Delete Edges will not delete edge loops with CTRL pressed.

From other forum posts I've found over the years, it seems related to how a uv set is imported with this retopo mesh and interpreted in 3DCoat. This forum post is an example. 

Any thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

John

On 11/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, John DeRiggi said:

Slide Edges tool will not slide edge loops with CTRL pressed;

Hi, John!
When you imported Retopo mesh,  some edges can become sharp.
Edges can become sharp, if we have split the Normals.

image.png

On 11/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, John DeRiggi said:

slide edge loops with CTRL pressed; Delete Edges will not delete edge loops with CTRL pressed.

Loop edges ending on sharp.

Alex! Thank you so much! I would have never thought that the state of edge/face normals played a part in this issue!

I softened edges/normals on the intended mesh in Maya, exported it as an FBX with smoothing groups, and it worked just fine after importing it as a retopo mesh in 3DCoat - Brush smooth, slide edge loops with CTRL, delete edge loops with CTRL, etc all worked.

I also tested it with and without uvs, and it worked either way. The uv set name also did not seem to matter at all either, as my mesh uv set was just named map1. Thank you again!! @Gorbatovsky

John

• Carlosan changed the title to Retopo Room - Next Steps