3D Coat Forums
Gorbatovsky

Retopo - next big Step

12 hours ago, polynut said:

Thank for another workaround AbnRanger but many artists really like to have these options and some workflow are different from others. We are so used or call it spoiled by these basic options in other 3D app that when we stumble upon one not having it we are surprise.

If these features do not require heavy coding then i think they could make 3D coat even more attractive to newcomers.

It's not a workaround. Retopo meshes are in wireframe only for a reason. To differentiate it from underlying Voxel/Surface mode meshes. If you really must see it without wireframe, it's one hotkey away. Your comparison to 3D apps having a toggle on/off is comparing apples to oranges...a standard 3D environment, where the same mesh is animated, textures and rendered...to a RETOPO ONLY environment. 

That's also why there are no materials, subdivision levels, etc on the Retopo meshes.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:12 AM, AbnRanger said:

It's not a workaround. Retopo meshes are in wireframe only for a reason. To differentiate it from underlying Voxel/Surface mode meshes. If you really must see it without wireframe, it's one hotkey away. Your comparison to 3D apps having a toggle on/off is comparing apples to oranges...a standard 3D environment, where the same mesh is animated, textures and rendered...to a RETOPO ONLY environment. 

That's also why there are no materials, subdivision levels, etc on the Retopo meshes.

Well in 3ds max it's exactly one keyboard shortcut to toggle wireframe in retopo workflow!

1 hour ago, polynut said:

Well in 3ds max it's exactly one keyboard shortcut to toggle wireframe in retopo workflow!

Apples and Oranges. The Retopo Room isn't 3ds Max. It's a raw poly construction workspace specifically for RETOPO Work. Not Material setups, Animation or Rendering. If you want to preview retopo results after baking, you can do that in one hotkey. 

On 7/15/2019 at 5:16 PM, AbnRanger said:

Apples and Oranges. The Retopo Room isn't 3ds Max. It's a raw poly construction workspace specifically for RETOPO Work. Not Material setups, Animation or Rendering. If you want to preview retopo results after baking, you can do that in one hotkey. 

Like i have said before if it is easy to be implemented and i was the developer i would certainly do it after my priorities of course.

When using the points and faces tool, the blue suggestion flickers wildly and often doesn't show up at all. A lot of my time is spent moving the mouse slowly around to find the magic pixel where it gets the quad I want. I think this can be much improved.

Using the quad tool, the vertex snapping frequently snaps to a vertex under or behind the area I'm working on, creating very warped quad instead of the one I want, and this too could be improved a lot.

Yes, Points and Faces is my favorite tool in Retopo but it can be quite frustrating to work with.

A suggestion for the strokes tool, when you start and stop your stroke outside the object, and then draw the spline down the middle...

Firstly, I think there's a bug when dealing with long, thin objects. I was working on a model of a building scaffold, which had long, thin pipes. I was able to draw strokes across it, evenly spaced, and then the final stroke and it worked for short lengths, but if I tried adding one more stroke, it'd not generate anything at all. I could generate a mesh wrapping the first 10% of my pipe, sometimes more, but never the full length.

Second, if you try this on a rectangular profile, like a table leg or a plank of wood maybe, and the number of sections is reduced to 4, it'd make perfect sense to me that the wrapping should try and land on the edges of the high poly mesh. I don't know how hard this is to achieve in code, but it would be slick and natural (like so much of the retopo room already is).  If there's a quicker way to retopo long, thin rectangles and tubes please let me know as this was very frustrating and time consuming.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:24 AM, Innovine said:

When using the points and faces tool, the blue suggestion flickers wildly and often doesn't show up at all. A lot of my time is spent moving the mouse slowly around to find the magic pixel where it gets the quad I want. I think this can be much improved.

Using the quad tool, the vertex snapping frequently snaps to a vertex under or behind the area I'm working on, creating very warped quad instead of the one I want, and this too could be improved a lot.

Thank you.
I saw budgs with the points and faces tool and quad tool.

Task on the list TODO.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, Innovine said:

A suggestion for the strokes tool, when you start and stop your stroke outside the object, and then draw the spline down the middle...

Firstly, I think there's a bug when dealing with long, thin objects. I was working on a model of a building scaffold, which had long, thin pipes. I was able to draw strokes across it, evenly spaced, and then the final stroke and it worked for short lengths, but if I tried adding one more stroke, it'd not generate anything at all. I could generate a mesh wrapping the first 10% of my pipe, sometimes more, but never the full length.

Second, if you try this on a rectangular profile, like a table leg or a plank of wood maybe, and the number of sections is reduced to 4, it'd make perfect sense to me that the wrapping should try and land on the edges of the high poly mesh. I don't know how hard this is to achieve in code, but it would be slick and natural (like so much of the retopo room already is).  If there's a quicker way to retopo long, thin rectangles and tubes please let me know as this was very frustrating and time consuming.

We recently spoke with Andrew.
He is working on this topic.

Thank you.

• Like 2