3DCoat Forums

Retopo Room - Next Steps

• Reputable Contributor

Hopefully it is just a small adjustment, but could we PLEASE change the old, 90's style spheres (POINTS & FACES and ADD/SPLIT tool) to small circles....sort of like selected Vertices, but maybe slightly larger in scale?

• Reputable Contributor
Just now, AbnRanger said:

Hopefully it is just a small adjustment, but could we PLEASE change the old, 90's style spheres (POINTS & FACES and ADD/SPLIT tool) to small circles....sort of like selected Vertices, but maybe slightly larger in scale?

Base Thumbnail1.jpg

11 hours ago, Rygaard said:

@Gorbatovsky My congratulations for the excellent work developing fantastic tools.
I am impressed with what you are demonstrating in the videos.
I would like to ask you 2 questions.

1) Could you tell us, the videos you shared about KnifeAndProfile, AutoRetopo, SmartRetopo tools will be available when in 3D-Coat?

2) Could I suggest a new tool in relation to Curves?
- Bevel Curves Tool:
After the user creates a new curve on the mesh surface, the "Bevel Curves Tool" through the curve created in the geometry, a temporary Preview would appear and allow the realization of custom bevels similar to the Coat Tool / Edge Shape = CostomShape and EdgeWidth properties (save / load Curves).

image.thumb.png.ece0ca2e2adba075a0a00a9e05445e45.png
So, after customizing the bevel in the Preview and the user would press the Apply button and the desired Bevel would happen DIRECTLY in the geometry.
And at the same time this bevel would be created in a new Sculpt Layer (If the user checked the option create a new sculpt layer with this bevel). Making the process less destructive.

This suggested tool (Bevel Curves Tool) would be to directly deform the geometry and not create another geometry on top as is the case with the Coat tool.

Thank you

Deforming geometry will be ugly because of polygons lack. Why not just do boolean? I understand instability, but diving a bit into the surface will solve the problem.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Gorbatovsky said:

I didn't quite catch what you write.

Let me try to explain it better.
This tool (Bevel Curves Tool) would modify the edge directly from this geometry by applying a Customized Bevel similar to the features that exist in Coat Tool.
But instead of creating another geometry in SculptTree, that bevel would be applied directly to the edge of Geometry or wherever the curve is around the geometry.
It would be the same operation as a Bevel Tool that exists in the Blender program and other 3d programs.

Therefore, it would be basically the operation of the Coat Tool, but applying the bevel physically deforming wherever the curve is.
And when the user wanted to apply the Bevel, the user could activate an option to create a new Sculpt Layer so that the procedure is non-destructive.

bevel_tool.thumb.jpg.5fcd4bbcaa4cb5ec55cfeb84eb9d5a6c.jpg

46 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Deforming geometry will be ugly because of polygons lack.

To avoid this problem, we could have something similar to Remove Stretching or Add Local Subdivision or Density within the property options and thus we would have a perfect and quality Bevel.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi,

It would be interesting to have retopo tool using angle based parameter, as efficient as Blender decimate modifier.

This has many uses for low poly quick retopo.

And this avoids having lot of not necessary vertex when the model is more hard surface planes.

Blendermodifier.png

With options like delimit by normal, material, UV

Blendermodifier3.png

Edited by Ratchet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 3/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, Carlosan said:

Hi Alex 

Although I do believe that the Retopo room needs to be modernized, both in the performance and in the administration of files; I think it's important to mention that in the long term, retopo room should become a CAD modeler.

As i remember time ago Andrew helps Wings3D development with some lines of code.

Being able to gradually convert the Retopo room on CAD modeling room would greatly help the insertion of 3DC in the market as a total modeling solution.

Thx and best regards

CA

0000616: Possibility to create and manipulate nurbs surfaces and transform them to voxels

As a long time user of Wings3D and Wings3D forum member I was not aware of Andrews involvement with Wings3D. I still like to fire up that app on ocassion.

• Like 1

• Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I've been using 3D-Coat only for retopology and unwrapping for about 5 years. 

For a long time 3D-Coat was crashing when exporting retopo as fbx. But the fbx export changed to 2015 and this worked better. 

Anyway, because of that export issue, I got used to save the file (3b) and only then export as fbx. If 3D-Coat crashed I could always reopen my last save and retry to export as fbx. Which usually worked fine. 

But since a recent update (about a month or two ago?), when 3D-Coat decides to crash while exporting the retopo (obj, fbx or any other format doesn't change a thing), it doesn't matter how many times I reload the last save an retry : the retopo is dead. I can reopen my file, my work is there in the retopo room. I can work on it. But I can't export it anymore. I lost so many hours in the last 2 months that I moved to 3DS Max and its ultra unintuitive shortcuts, its ugly display and terrible viewport controls, because it was the only solution to work in a more stable environment. 

You want to improve the retopo room ? Give us a way to check the mesh for eventual errors that would explain why a mesh is crashing the app everytime we try to export it.

As it is now, it's just not usable anymore. And I very much regret it. 

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

I recently came across this plugin.  Something like this would be great in 3D Coat.  https://blendermarket.com/products/softwrap

You guys are almost there already with the cloth tool.

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, hansolocambo@gmail.com said:

I've been using 3D-Coat only for retopology and unwrapping for about 5 years. 

For a long time 3D-Coat was crashing when exporting retopo as fbx. But the fbx export changed to 2015 and this worked better. 

Anyway, because of that export issue, I got used to save the file (3b) and only then export as fbx. If 3D-Coat crashed I could always reopen my last save and retry to export as fbx. Which usually worked fine. 

But since a recent update (about a month or two ago?), when 3D-Coat decides to crash while exporting the retopo (obj, fbx or any other format doesn't change a thing), it doesn't matter how many times I reload the last save an retry : the retopo is dead. I can reopen my file, my work is there in the retopo room. I can work on it. But I can't export it anymore. I lost so many hours in the last 2 months that I moved to 3DS Max and its ultra unintuitive shortcuts, its ugly display and terrible viewport controls, because it was the only solution to work in a more stable environment. 

You want to improve the retopo room ? Give us a way to check the mesh for eventual errors that would explain why a mesh is crashing the app everytime we try to export it.

As it is now, it's just not usable anymore. And I very much regret it. 

Please send me the example scene to the andrewshpagin@gmail.com

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

Yeah, Zwrap is what I saw initially, and I thought that would be a great retopo addition in 3D Coat.  And then being able to pull in some textures from XYZTextures.

• Like 1

I didn't keep any of the retopo files that kept crashing. I thought it was because of a wireframe error (usually caused by the retopo symmetry) but I retopo a mesh every 3 or 4 days and I tried many ways to avoid the bug. Thing is : it's not a wireframe error. Last thing I tried, before moving to 3DS Max (and latest ZBrush versions) for retopo, was to delete all the retopo object, but 1 quad. And even this 1 quad would make the export crash every time. So it's just the 3b retopo scene that becomes unstable for some reason and then the mesh is lost. Retopo object is there, but cannot be exported. 

I could work on 3D-Coat again and as soon as it happens, I could send you a file. But this has been happening for a while now and extremely often. Shouldn't be hard to reproduce the error ;)

I'm working on a cartoon environment. I'm gonna do some retopo again, then, in 3D-Coat. As soon as it happens again, I'll send you the file. 

On 12/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Please send me the example scene to the andrewshpagin@gmail.com

I usually don't keep retopo files once the mesh is done. And I certainly didn't keep 3b retopo files that kept crashing ;) I thought it was because of a wireframe error (usually caused by the retopo symmetry) but I retopo a mesh every 3 or 4 days and I tried many ways to avoid the bug. Thing is : it's not a wireframe error. Last thing I tried, before moving to 3DS Max (and latest ZBrush versions) for retopo, was to delete all the retopo object, but 1 quad. And even this 1 quad would make the export crash every time. So it's just the 3b retopo scene that becomes unstable for some reason and then the mesh is lost. Retopo object is there, but cannot be exported. 

I could work on 3D-Coat again and as soon as it happens, I could send you a file. But this has been happening for a while now and extremely often. Shouldn't be hard to reproduce the error ;)

I'm working on a cartoon environment at the moment. I'm gonna do some retopo again, then, in 3D-Coat. As soon as it happens again, I'll send you the file. Cheers.

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Demonstration of new tools in the Modeling room with a Modeling of a rhinoceros

-Swept Surface N-Gener 0:10;  9:25
-Smart Extrude  5:28
-Alignment Vertex's 7:30
-Spine Tool in Spline mode 15:20
-Knife - polygon option 11:56

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks for that tip. But I find videos with captions or subtitles too hard to follow as trying to read text and follow the mouse pointer is very difficult.

Cheers & take care.

• Contributor
19 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Actually that one does not have English. It's only auto-generated Russian.

You can activate English subtitles with auto-translation pressing the settings icon next to the subtitles icon.

• Reputable Contributor
On 3/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, kenmo said:

Thanks for that tip. But I find videos with captions or subtitles too hard to follow as trying to read text and follow the mouse pointer is very difficult.

Cheers & take care.

We will have something up shortly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Allabulle said:

You can activate English subtitles with auto-translation pressing the settings icon next to the subtitles icon.

Oh OK I was watching on my phone and it doesn't have that option unless you switch to desktop mode.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

We will have something up shortly

Well, if you are the author of the video we can all be assured it will be of very high quality. I've always enjoyed your tutorials, videos and tips.

Look forward to it.

• Carlosan changed the title to Retopo Room - Next Steps