3DCoat Forums

Retopo Room - Next Steps

There is an immature suggestion about swept tools, such as "Tube/Array", "Sweep along Guide", and "Swept 2 Gener" for tools with pipe types. Is it possible to have a curve control zoom (rotation) function to make it more convenient to manipulate? Does the model scale as a whole? example:

cur.thumb.jpg.4f187600155c2fff572c9a6acf1ee247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi

I have a feature request. When using the Smart Retopo tool, or a similar curve tool for adding a ring of new geo, is it possible to add a feature similar to how the ZModelerGuide brush in ZBrush works? So when you make part of the ring/curve, you hold Shift or something, which then makes a snapped guide that goes all the way around a mesh and makes an automatic ring?

On 12/8/2021 at 2:35 AM, DustyShinigami said:

Here's a GIF of the feature in ZBrush.

Looked at the animation and did not understand why you need it?
We also have the ability to create cross-sections of the mesh with a plane in the Sculpting room.

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Looked at the animation and did not understand why you need it?
We also have the ability to create cross-sections of the mesh with a plane in the Sculpting room.

Unless there's a command/key I'm not aware of, it's because when I try to make a loop of geo, and have to stop to turn the camera, I can't seem to carry the loop on all the way around a mesh. If I click on a point, it will just create a new ring/curve of points. Whereas a method like that would allow a ring to be automatically generated all the way around a mesh just by holding the Shift key and clicking.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

Build polygons by points.

yes, i understand the feature is to build polygon with points, but why is it a feature to place point in empty space?

And I don't know why rotate the scene when you put points in empty space.

im not trying to put points in empty space. when i click outside the model, to rotate, it puts points in empty space. is this normal behavior?
i have to switch to  a different brush everytime i want to rotate.

retopo problem 2.gif

• Reputable Contributor

Why can we not get a simple gradient selection tool in the Retopo/Modeling Workspace? I have been asking for this personally for several years, as it is an ESSENTIAL function for any modeling work. EVERY single modeling toolset in every other application has this basic and critical function.

• Reputable Contributor

Modeling without Gradient/Soft Selections makes things a lot harder than it has to be. This is why 3DCoat has this functionality in the POSE tool of the Sculpt Room and even in the old legacy TWEAK room. But for some inexplicable reason, it has been missing from the Retopo room all this time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Modeling without Gradient/Soft Selections makes things a lot harder than it has to be. This is why 3DCoat has this functionality in the POSE tool of the Sculpt Room and even in the old legacy TWEAK room. But for some inexplicable reason, it has been missing from the Retopo room all this time.

Totally agree, this is a must for a faster workflow.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

This is not a personal request. This is simply a basic and yet essential feature of ANY modeling toolset. 3DCoat must have this in its toolbox if people are going to take it seriously as a polygonal modeling toolset. It's like a Carpenter without a hammer. 

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:35 PM, esepablo said:

anyway to disable points being placed outside the model? im trying to rotate with 'points to polygons' brush, but it just keeps placing the points out in the middle of nowhere (dont know why this is even a feature)

zOBzK6q.gif

With the POINTS TO POLYGONS tool active, go to the SPECIAL section of the Tool Panel and click CLEAR POINTS

• Reputable Contributor
29 minutes ago, esepablo said:

yes, i am aware of clearing points, i have a problem with them being placed outside of the model.

Understood, but please understand that this specific tool is NOT designed to be used that way. It is specifically designed to place points on the surface of a voxel/high poly sculpt mesh and nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:37 AM, Sqwert said:

any chance of getting a better auto  result, or should I just hand retopo

wft2.png

You can add a few stroke guides to help improve the result and perhaps check the Hard Surface Option when running Auto-Retopo. Set your estimated poly count at the top of the Autopo pop-up panel, but keep it reasonable. Auto-Retopo is NOT a "Make a Game Ready Mesh" button. It generates polygons that are generally evenly spaced...not optimized for Game Models. Also, keep in mind that Auto Retopo is not for every situation. Some shapes may be too complex to get a result exactly the way you want, with no tweaking involved. But many shapes Auto-Retopo can handle exceptionally well, and to the point that you have to giggle a little bit, because you feel like you just successfully cheated on a test or something. :D

• Carlosan changed the title to Retopo Room - Next Steps
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Recently I've been trying 3DCoat and I love it, but I have one problem with it.
I think I have found an issue that you might want to look into.

So I'm trying to retopologize a stone structure.
Something has been messing up my topology and I have finally found what it is.

In smart retopo if I use quadrangulation to fill parts of meshes like in the image: https://imgur.com/YRZ9e2M

The auto-welding will happen over the entire polygroup.
I don't know if it is a bug or not, but I don't think it is very intuitive if its not a bug.
I would expect the autowelding to happen just in an area that I'm trying to fill.

Of course I can decrease weld tolerance, but I don't know what those numbers correspond to.
What does 4 mean exactly?
What if I don't want any welding happening outside of the green line?
I can put weld tolerance to 1, does this ensure it won't mess my topology outside of the quadrangulation area?
The only way now for me, it is manually checking if everything is still alright.

Anyway, I think it is an issue, because even if it is working as intented, it is very easy to mess your entire mesh without noticing,
especially when default value is 4 and there is no warning, especially when someone is trying out the software for the first time or is a beginner at using it.

Another thing is that smart retopo generated mesh doesn't snap to the sculpt very well all the time, but that's more of a minor nuisance than an issue.

Hope that I didn't miss something very obvious and that this post is helpful.

49 minutes ago, aleksej said:

The auto-welding will happen over the entire polygroup.

Thank you for your message.
We have made a lot of improvements to the Smart Retopo tool.
Still need to work on welding.

Watch the video for this tool.