3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Imported Meshes and Faceting

Gary Dave

Go to solution Solved by Gary Dave,

• Advanced Member

I know there are threads on this already (one I think even made by me). But in the past when I imported a model into the sculpt room, it was usually okay for me to smooth out the faces (as it doesn't recognise normals/smoothing groups), as either the mesh wasn't finished anyway, or it was simple enough to do so.

But, in a few days I will be receiving a super dense character mesh from Zbrush (in either FBX or OBJ) that I need to retopo, UV and bake. My worry is it will drop into 3d coat all faceted again, but since this is a finished premade sculpt, I do not have the luxury (or the patience) to fix up a few million issues.

Does anyone know of how I might go about this? Maybe dropping the high res mesh straight into the retopo as a "huge mesh", or will 3d coat still facet the whole thing?

• Advanced Member

Just to update this, unfortunately the "import as huge mesh" tries to merge separate objects, and has no option to swap Axis' around. I have a body, eyes, teeth, tongue, etc. And because it tries to merge everything, it fails the boolean operation (because it's importing to surface mode), but even if it didn't fail, it looks like I would be left with a model on its side anyway.

So, I'm a bit stumped. I can't even see if it will facet my mesh or not, but at this point it doesn't matter because I have no use for all the objects being merged into one. I'll need to import the sculpt I've been given into snother program, do the rotation here as well and then export all the pieces separately, and then probably retopo them one by one. Not ideal.

I will update later if huge mesh actually facets the model or not. If it does I really don't know what to do.

• Advanced Member

So, importing as a huge mesh doesn't facet the mesh, which is good.

Unfortunately what it did do was absolutely obliterate my characters hands and feet. I am not sure why. 

So lastly, I tried to just import my mesh into the sculpt room without voxelisation.

And the good news is: Not faceted, imports multiple objects separately, and can be rotated if it comes in wrong.

So, it looks like maybe someone needs to look at the "huge mesh" retopo option, and either fix it or remove it.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Imported Meshes and Faceting
  • 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Another update:

So I mentioned before that importing without voxelisation comes in just fine, no faceting. But... if you then res+, resample or convert to voxels. You get the faceting back. 

Does anyone know if the devs are looking into importing sculpt meshes without faceting? For organic assets it's relatively okay, as you can smooth things out manually afterwards, but for hard surface imports that you need to sculpt over, I am struggling.

At the moment I have a lot of hard surface objects that I need to import and sculpt on, but it is proving to be an impossible task for 3dc.