3DCoat Forums

Upgrading my video card need some advice for 3d coat

polynut

• Advanced Member

Hi guy's,

I am currently upgrading my old but loyal  amd 7950 but i was struggling to find information about opencl versus cuda for 3d coat since i don't want to be penalize by choosing the wrong brand for working in 3d coat.

For the little information i was able to find it's seem that i have no other choice than nvidia if i want solid performance in 3d coat sculpting but maybe this have change so can someone be kind enough to inform me since i need the new card very soon.

Regards

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

I prefer always nVidia over AMD, but dont know what is your budget.

I will spend about 500$ and i already stop my choice for the rtx 2060 since the 2070 is 200$ for close to the same performance but it have 2 GB more of vram so 200$ for 2 GB of vram is too much in my opinion.

If i still choose AMD will i be able to work decently or not at all with 3d coat?

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, haikalle said:

I would suggest 2070 it has good performance and the price is not so deep than in 2080. 

Here in Canada the 2070 is 200$ more than the 2060 and performance are almost on par except for the 2 GB of additional ram on the 2070.

• Applink Developer
1 minute ago, polynut said:

Here in Canada the 2070 is 200$ more than the 2060 and performance are almost on par except for the 2 GB of additional ram on the 2070.

That's good point. I'm going to buy new graphic card tomorrow and I was planning to buy 2070. But now I'm not quite sure anymore. 

• Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, haikalle said:

That's good point. I'm going to buy new graphic card tomorrow and I was planning to buy 2070. But now I'm not quite sure anymore. 

The difference is minimal and i think it doesn't justify the 200$! Here a comparison between the 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5Hirg3cPY

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, haikalle said:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_2060_review_(founder),27.html

That is the link that would say that there is a extra boost in 2070 when it comes rendering.

Could be but for the price i just want to take an affordable card since we never know what AMD will come up with this fall and i don't want to regret my purchase. Also when navi launch rtx card are going to drop in price.

Keep in mind that the rtx 2070 seem to have a lot of rma and failure and so far the rtx 2060 even if it is very recent doesn't seem to have these failures.

Edited by polynut
information missing