3DCoat Forums

Uv Set and texture resolution help... have a deadline...

Hi there, I'm new to using 3D Coat, im making a low poly mesh to upload to SecondLife, the problem is i need to make an object 64 x 64 in size have a better texture resolution than 1024x1024 across the entire surface. Ive discovered that you can make new UV sets and split parts of the object into quarter for the uv faces/sets but they do not sync up to make it seamless. I'm getting pretty frustrated and can't find any tutorials on this.  Am I starting off with wrong resolution on the textures ive uploaded to 3d Coat and made smart materials etc and that is making my textures blurry? 

also one more thing, when i am in retopo room my model disappears completely and i have to load the save file, its getting so annoying. like this program is great but it has some major bugs and problems. please help...

Thanks Carlosan, ive already figured out how to make separate uv sets, i just cant get the texture to be seamless where the sets join on the face of the object. is there a way to match these uv set edges up so the texture will be a seamless join?

• Like 1

Automatically no, sorry.

I only figure to do a big island, paint and then switching back to UVroom, split it adding an UVseams.

But one of the big advantages of 3DC is let you can paint on any group of faces and 3dcoat make the seamless padding borders automatically. 

Check preferences, General

realtime padding mode.jpg

* I hope I have understood your question well

- Related:

Edge Padding wiki

• Like 1

yes thats what i did.

ive switched back to maya.

What i have is a large round mesh island. the secondlife engine supports only up to 2k texture size so for an item 64 metres by 64 metres its pretty blurry.  What i am wanting to do is have it split into quarters so each quarter has its own separate UV tile/set so that i can apply the exported 1k textures to each quarter of the large object. unless there is another way to get better resolution?

sorry i have aspergers i cant always describe things accurately, thanks for your patience.

dont worry im almost having a meltdown over it i combined the uvs and everyone can look at blurry texture. - I had been able to get the model into secondlife with all the corresponding textures by splitting the mesh into quarters as per uv sets. the only problem is the meshes dont line up anymore once they are uploaded so im giving up ive already wasted 2 days on this thing and im ready to throw my pc in front of a train.

Edited by Lizbot
forgot info

Tony all i have now is a low poly mesh island with a single 2k texture, doesnt seem to be any easy way to increase resolution with splitting the uvs up so i went back to my original and will just live with it. Thanks for your response though.

• 5 months later...
  • Contributor
On 3/20/2019 at 8:28 PM, Lizbot said:

Tony all i have now is a low poly mesh island with a single 2k texture, doesnt seem to be any easy way to increase resolution with splitting the uvs up so i went back to my original and will just live with it. Thanks for your response though.

It doesn't sound like you're trying to make seamless/tile-able textures but it does sound like the UV faces along the seams are not parallel. Even though my mesh is made of triangles, for some reason on import I had to check triangles on import and baking an AO layer became glitch free.