3DCoat Forums

How to make retopo room better without adding any new tools.

haikalle

• Applink Developer

I deiced to start to make this list how retopo room could become better without adding any new tools into that room. I'm open with discussion about these points:

1 GOAL

- Combine QUADS and POINTS/FACES tool. If you press mouse button on edge it would work like Quads tool and other situations it would be Points/Faces tool  

- When ( Quads or Points/Faces ) tools is activated and you press SHIFT, it would activate brush tool.

- Combine ADD/SPLIT and SPLIT RINGS tools. Add/Split by default and CTRL would activate Split Rings. Final thing here is to rename this new tool CUT/SPLIT.

- We can remove EDGE LOOPS tool. MARK SEAMS allready has edge loops feature (SHIFT). We could modify it that when pressing SHIFT it would select loop. IF user then presses again with SHIFT it will deselect the same loop.

- Brush / Select / Move / Del Edges / Del polys tools could be combined into one. I think this could be possible , but needs feedback from all users to find the best way.

2 GOAL            (after changes from 1goal are done)

- Now let's combine new (QUADS POINTS/FACES) and CUT/SPLIT tools together. Default would be Quads/Points/Faces tool. CTRL would activate CUT tool and CTRL + SHIFT would activate SPLIT RINGS

- Let's start to solve this select/move tool issue. My proposal would be this. Let's combine Brush/Select/Move tools into one. Brush tool as a default. SHIFT would be Select tool and RMB would be the move. 
I think this one is the hardest one to combine but we need to start from somewhere. Let's remove clear selection and code it into when users double click empty space in 3D View.

RESULT

Instead having 7 different tools, now we have only 2, and they are powerful :)

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer
28 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Sometimes you need to add edge loops, but not seams loops. Why to remove it ?

You can try MARK SEAMS tool with SHIFT and then try EDGE LOOPS tool. Are they the same tools ?