3DCoat Forums

Linux updates news

Go to solution Solved by SERGYI,

• Contributor

Just sharing some info.

Each of us can can take it differently, of course. To me, the knowledge of actual progress is a good thing, and as such I shared it.

I could use the tool in my pipeline, so the closest we are to having the tool, the better.

Edited by Allabulle

• 1 month later...
  • Contributor

In Pop OS 20.04 I couldn't make it work. After installing the libraries the executable demanded in the terminal it crashed shortly after the greeting screen. Now I'm trying with a clean brand new installed Ubuntu 20.04 system.

Some info on the libraries and dependencies required  by 3DCoat to work would certainly help.

OK, after installing libomp-dev and libc++-dev it lauches but crashes instantly, before the UI is drawn. I can see the splash screen, but it shuts down after that.

What the terminal posted:

Gtk-Message: 17:20:47.586: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
connect failed: No such file or directory
*** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

So, I also installed libcanberra-gtk-module. It also crashes:

connect failed: No such file or directory
*** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

Edited by Allabulle
  • Thanks 2

Hi, in my case it doesn't open. In terminal, I see this message: error while loading shared libraries: libomp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. 

Using Ubuntu 20.04

I'm not sure if shall mess with libraries, don't have that confidence with Linux, yet. Any suggestion?

Thanks. 

3d Coat doesn't open for me as well.  I tried to download from Europe as well as North America.  It doesn't make any different.  I have been using 3D-Coat for a long time and I have downloaded several updates and this one isn't working right.  It's time for 3d-Coat to look into this one!!!

• Contributor
5 hours ago, gydwin3d said:

To run, you also need to install spacenavd.

Thank you.

After installing spacenavd it indeed works.

I don't know why do I must install a daemon to run a device I don't own or use, but it works nonetheless.

Some documentation detailing what's to be installed on top of the default supported operating system in order to run the software should be accessible and easy to find, though.

So, from my experience, as of today, to run 3DCoat one has to:

- Download de software.

- Unpack it.

- Install, on a vanilla Ubuntu 20.04, libomp-dev libc++-dev libcanberra-gtk-module and spacenavd

- Run the program and activate the license.

Yay! 3DCoat in Linux at last! :-)

Edit: It also works in Pop OS 20.04 with the same procedure.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 1

• Contributor

After trying to work a bit with 3DCoat 4.9.66 for Linux I get this error:

"Out of memory. You should increase the amount of virtual memory in system settings"

and then, the corollary:

"Please save your work to a new file because the program has become unstable and will now exit. Do not overwrite existing work."

and,

"There is not enough disk space to write the file."

I was just voxel sculpting, below 400k, and when the autosave kicks off, the message appears. There's plenty of free disk space and RAM usage was pretty low (it's a 32 GB RAM system.)

Any pointers on what to do to solve it? Any more info needed?

• Like 1

• Contributor

OK, if I save elsewhere, out of 3DCoat folders, the issue is gone.

So, I saved the project in an arbitrary folder created for the sculpt and it saves it fine, and the autosave works as it should as well.

It seems that 3DCoat possibly can't write in its own folders for some reason. The warning it outputs when that happens is a tad confusing, though.

Not sure if it's a bug, but I'll document it here just in case.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 2:55 AM, Allabulle said:

Thank you.

After installing spacenavd it indeed works.

I don't know why do I must install a daemon to run a device I don't own or use, but it works nonetheless.

Some documentation detailing what's to be installed on top of the default supported operating system in order to run the software should be accessible and easy to find, though.

- Download de software.

- Unpack it.

- Install, on a vanilla Ubuntu 20.04, libomp-dev libc++-dev libcanberra-gtk-module and spacenavd

Works for me. Now is running in Ubuntu 20.04. Thanks Allabulle!

On 12/9/2020 at 4:49 AM, Allabulle said:

After trying to work a bit with 3DCoat 4.9.66 for Linux I get this error:

"Out of memory. You should increase the amount of virtual memory in system settings"

and then, the corollary:

"Please save your work to a new file because the program has become unstable and will now exit. Do not overwrite existing work."

and,

"There is not enough disk space to write the file."

I was just voxel sculpting, below 400k, and when the autosave kicks off, the message appears. There's plenty of free disk space and RAM usage was pretty low (it's a 32 GB RAM system.)

Any pointers on what to do to solve it? Any more info needed?

Thanks, will have that in mind if the same error happen. 

On 12/5/2020 at 7:55 PM, Allabulle said:

- Download de software.

- Unpack it.

I've got 4.9.66 working and registered following these instructions on Ubuntu 20.04 (thanks for the post). However I  do not have any smart materials.

When I got to edit>Relocate 3D Coats data it is pointing to the correct directory which is ~/Documents/3D-CoatV49

Anybody know how to get them work ?

Edited by kevjon

• Contributor
6 hours ago, kevjon said:

I've got 4.9.66 working and registered following these instructions on Ubuntu 20.04 (thanks for the post). However I  do not have any smart materials.

When I got to edit>Relocate 3D Coats data it is pointing to the correct directory which is ~/Documents/3D-CoatV49

Anybody know how to get them work ?

You are welcome :-)

And yes, it happens here too. The Smart Materials are gone. I couldn't fix it either. I tried several things but nothing.

I'll wait for the next version update, hopefully before 2021 launches, and see if it gets fixed. A pity, really.

I found a workaround solution to the missing smart materials (if you have the windows installation of 3dc)

Copy the folder "patterns" from 3D-CoatV49 (in windows) to 3D-CoatV49 (in Linux). For some reason the "patterns" file in the 4.9.66 linux download is 0 bytes when extracted.

Edited by kevjon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
On 12/19/2020 at 12:30 AM, kevjon said:

I found a workaround solution to the missing smart materials (if you have the windows installation of 3dc)

Copy the folder "patterns" from 3D-CoatV49 (in windows) to 3D-CoatV49 (in Linux). For some reason the "patterns" file in the 4.9.66 linux download is 0 bytes when extracted.

Thanks, it worked!

After fiddling around a bit to get to a windows machine I tired it and it worked. It shouldn't have to be this way but, for now, it does the trick. Thanks again!

Edited by Allabulle

• Contributor

Oh, sadly the issue with the missing Smart Materials is still there in the newer 4.9.68 build. Maybe for the next round, then.

Also, has anyone experienced quite low performance when voxel sculpting?

Here's how to check:

- Start a fresh scene

- Pick Voxel Sculpting from the Greeting Window

- Now, choose the Full Human Male figure (just to the left of the Head figure)

- Try to sculpt over the male figure with Vox Clay (with any brush)

- It lags considerably when trying any stroke length. At small bursh sizes it's working decenty, but not great. Not completely unusable, but almost.

[This on a system with an 8c/16th CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080 and GTX Titan X, running Ubuntu 20.04 with 450.80.02 nVidia drivers]

• Contributor
On 12/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, Allabulle said:

Oh, sadly the issue with the missing Smart Materials is still there in the newer 4.9.68 build. Maybe for the next round, then.

Here's how to check:

- Start a fresh scene

- It lags considerably when trying any stroke length. At small bursh sizes it's working decenty, but not great. Not completely unusable, but almost.

[This on a system with an 8c/16th CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080 and GTX Titan X, running Ubuntu 20.04 with 450.80.02 nVidia drivers]

Update:

So I used a spare hard drive to install and try the same procedure in Windows, with current Nvidia drivers, and it behaves exactly the same. So not a regression for the Linux version.

It's been quite a while since using 3DCoat so not sure yet what's specific to the Linux builds that we can now use or what's expected from the software as a whole. It has evolved quite a lot.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, Allabulle said:

Here's how to check:

- Start a fresh scene

I wonder if missing Smart Materials in this new versions has to be with the new materials store. Ergo, a change of business model, similar to Quixel's model... What do you think?

3 hours ago, 3dlancer said:

I wonder if missing Smart Materials in this new versions has to be with the new materials store. Ergo, a change of business model, similar to Quixel's model... What do you think?

So, I solve the smart material issue under Ubuntu 20.04 and 3DCoat 4.9.69. Just manually create the folder "pattern" under Documents/3d-CoatV49/ then copy the patterns files from my 4.8 version (home/3D-CoatV48/patterns/) from my home folder...

Now it shows my smart materials. Hope that made sense. Regards. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, Allabulle said:

Here's how to check:

- Start a fresh scene

Just installed 4.9.69 on Ubuntu and don't have any lag so far. I reproduce the scene and can sculpt without issue. Hope this version works for you as well. 

Version 4.9.69 works out of the box on Manjaro. This is great!

I did see this error in the console:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “xapp-gtk3-module”

But was able to resolve it by following this: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/failed-to-load-module-xapp-gtk3-module/46039

That said, the error didn't seem to stop 3D Coat running in any event.

• Like 1