3DCoat Forums

Linux updates news

Go to solution Solved by SERGYI,

• Contributor
14 hours ago, 3dlancer said:

Just installed 4.9.69 on Ubuntu and don't have any lag so far. I reproduce the scene and can sculpt without issue. Hope this version works for you as well. 

Thanks!

I've just tried again with 4.9.69 and it does, apparently, the same. In my case, it's mostly brush size dependant. Large radius brushes lag considerably. More moderate brush sizes work well, though.

Example: setting the brush size to approximately match the scale of the head, it lags. Setting the radius then to the scale of what would be an ear, it works pretty well. And a bit tinier and it works absolutely smoothly.

It may also depend on other factors, like machine, operating system... Just guessing.

Thanks again for trying it out, 3dlancer.

Edited by Allabulle

5 hours ago, Allabulle said:

Thanks!

I've just tried again with 4.9.69 and it does, apparently, the same. In my case, it's mostly brush size dependant. Large radius brushes lag considerably. More moderate brush sizes work well, though.

Example: setting the brush size to approximately match the scale of the head, it lags. Setting the radius then to the scale of what would be an ear, it works pretty well. And a bit tinier and it works absolutely smoothly.

It may also depend on other factors, like machine, operating system... Just guessing.

Thanks again for trying it out, 3dlancer.

You're welcome. And I believe your guess is right. I had that kind of issue with my old machine, years ago. I tried again and change the size of the brush similar to the head, and still perform well. 

Also, I found a bug, not sure it is here where I should report it. On any conditions I can't make 3DCoat to calculate Curvature or Cavity data on Paint room. It close the program on each attempt. Using 4.9.69. 

Calculate Cavity is needed to use smart material. Wonder if anyone else has the same issue, or it is just me. Thank you!

Edited by 3dlancer

On 1/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, 3dlancer said:

You're welcome. And I believe your guess is right. I had that kind of issue with my old machine, years ago. I tried again and change the size of the brush similar to the head, and still perform well. 

Also, I found a bug, not sure it is here where I should report it. On any conditions I can't make 3DCoat to calculate Curvature or Cavity data on Paint room. It close the program on each attempt. Using 4.9.69. 

Calculate Cavity is needed to use smart material. Wonder if anyone else has the same issue, or it is just me. Thank you!

Never mind, I found what cause that issue. My fault indeed. I didn't check on the option View ⇾ Show Voxels in Paint Room and also some of my sculpts parts was in ghost mode. 

So, if sculpts are not visible and solid in paint room, 3DCoat might crash when calculates Cavity/Curvature texture. A Dah! for me. LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor
8 hours ago, lambertj21 said:

Got linux version up and running on Ubuntu 20 but I don't have pressure sensitivity.  I changed the little mouse icon over to pen and locked it.  I also checked stroke type but that doesn't really matter because no amount of pressure makes a difference.  Any help/suggestions?

It works here, with two different Wacom tablets.

Could you elaborate on what doesn't work and what you do exactly, to test it?

Thanks @Allabulle.  So, I downloaded the latest linux build and installed it on a fresh new Ubuntu 20 LTS setup.  I installed spacenavd and a few other libs called out here in this forum.  3DCoat launches perfectly but won't recognize pressure sensitivity (painting nor sculpting).  Krita and Blender both recognize pen pressure.

• Contributor
On 1/30/2021 at 12:30 AM, lambertj21 said:

Thanks @Allabulle.  So, I downloaded the latest linux build and installed it on a fresh new Ubuntu 20 LTS setup.  I installed spacenavd and a few other libs called out here in this forum.  3DCoat launches perfectly but won't recognize pressure sensitivity (painting nor sculpting).  Krita and Blender both recognize pen pressure.

What input device are you using?

It works fine with my two wacom.

• Contributor
10 hours ago, lambertj21 said:

@Allabulle, huion 16 pro.

Have you tried with these drivers? --> https://pypi.org/project/kamvas-driver/

There's an explanation in the disscussion about installing the drivers successfully in Ubuntu here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1250689/is-huion-kamvas-pro-13-supported#1250692

I can't be of much help since I don't own a Huion tablet, but the problem looks like a driver issue to me. It may be worth a try.

Fixed problem "Empty window Smart Materials" under Linux in "3DCoat 4.9.70".

If you install "3DCoat 4.9.70" under Linux after running "3DCoat 4.9.69" or earlier then to fill the window "Smart Materials" in "3DCoat 4.9.70" please remove four items:
Two empty files  "~/Documents/3D-CoatV49/ToolsPresets" and "~/Documents/3D-CoatV49/patterns";
One folder "~/Documents/3D-CoatV49/Temp/Unzip";
One file "~/Documents/3D-CoatV49/Temp/UnzipAlways/smart_materials_4_8.done".
After removing these items run "3DCoat 4.9.70". The window "Smart Materials" will be filled.

Smart Materials window.png

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Allabulle said:

Thank you @SERGYIfor the new Linux build!

3DCoat 2022.53 now works fine without the symlink to python 3.8 for systems with more up to date Python libraries installed and the Updates Manager points to the Linux Builds Download page! I'm assuming you also implemented the notification when a new build is released. Thanks a lot for taking user feedback into consideration and implementing it, it's very much appreciated.

The problem with the alphas being displayed way too dark has been also corrected in the build. That will help a lot too.

:good2:

On 2/9/2021 at 11:11 AM, SERGYI said:

Linux Compatibility requeriments: 

1. On the site, there is a statement that "3DCoat 202x" requires "Ubuntu 20.04"

2. "GLIBC" should be "2.31" or above.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a problem with pen input and dual displays where I have monitor 1 as my main display to the left and a wacom graphic display tablet as monitor 2 on the right. With 3D-Coat open and on the second screen, when I lift the pen away from the second screen 3D-Coat will snap the cursor to the top left of the display canvas / top left of monitor 1. On all other programs when the pen is lifted away from the screen the mouse cursor stays put right where the pen was lifted from the screen. Depending on the Desktop environment KDE, Gnome, Xfce sometimes this will cause an “Alt-Tab / Desktop overview / Hot corner activation” to occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I'm currently using 3DCoat on Fedora 34.
I would like to inform developers, that after 3DCoat-2022.49. all new updates (including last 3DCoat-2022.60) crashed on File Open/Save As dialogs (((
Though, 3DCoat-2022.49 still works without such problems.

• Contributor
On 2/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, ymesh said:

Hi,
I'm currently using 3DCoat on Fedora 34.
I would like to inform developers, that after 3DCoat-2022.49. all new updates (including last 3DCoat-2022.60) crashed on File Open/Save As dialogs (((
Though, 3DCoat-2022.49 still works without such problems.

You don't specify which Desktop Environment you are using. I'm telling you this because it happened to me before in Cinnamon, which uses Nemo file browser. If using Nautilus, it wouldn't happen. It could be worth a try to install and set-up temporarily Nautilus (it's branded "Files" in Gnome now, I think, if it helps) as your default file manager, so when prompted by 3DCoat it's the one opening and saving files. If that works, we could pin point a culprit and make a formal report to @SERGYI. Also, in the mean time, if it works that is, you could keep using a more recent version of 3DCoat until the open and save dialog crash is fixed.

I'm not so sure abut all this, but it could work. And if it does, probably it's not a crazy amount of work to fix for the developers.

Just a thought. Keep us posted if you try it, please.

Edited by Allabulle

Yes, indeed, I'm using Cinnamon... but I've already tried to logout into Gnome with Nautilus (even Gnome Classic)...
and even have tried to add a new user with default environment...
Unfortunately, 3DCoat-2022.60 still crashes on standart File Open/Save As dialogs, without any warning in console.
This is the last line in Log.txt:

Crash occured. Trying to save object...

• Contributor
29 minutes ago, ymesh said:

Yes, indeed, I'm using Cinnamon... but I've already tried to logout into Gnome with Nautilus (even Gnome Classic)...
and even have tried to add a new user with default environment...
Unfortunately, 3DCoat-2022.60 still crashes on standart File Open/Save As dialogs, without any warning in console.
This is the last line in Log.txt:

Crash occured. Trying to save object...

I see.

It can also be possible that the default file browser is still Nemo, even if running Gnome.
Make Nautilus default.

You can try, to check it out, saving a file from an internet browser, the dialog probably is till Nemo instead of Nautilus. I think some preferences come across from Cinnamon to Gnome if on the same system (meaning if booted, and then choosing one desktop environment or some other.)

• Contributor

I'm pretty sure though that 3DCoat has trouble opening and saving outside Nautilus. But at this time I can't test it properly to make a formal bug report.
If you could effectively check that with your same system it works with Nautilus made default, we could probably find the cause of the crash.

I don't think the 3DCoat team tests this out by themselves, since they don't use it in Linux. As far as I understand Sergyi makes the necessary changes to the code from the Windows build and makes the corresponding Linux builds to run against Ubuntu LTS vanilla (which I assume defaults to Nautilus).

If something is to change in the code to make it work outside of those constrains we better give him something to look at directly. Otherwise I doubt he'll have the time to check every possible permutation.

Thanks for testing it out @ymesh. If you can test it further, please keep us posted.

Edited by Allabulle

21 minutes ago, Allabulle said:

I see.

It can also be possible that the default file browser is still Nemo, even if running Gnome.
Make Nautilus default.

You can try, to check it out, saving a file from an internet browser, the dialog probably is till Nemo instead of Nautilus. I think some preferences come across from Cinnamon to Gnome if on the same system (meaning if booted, and then choosing one desktop environment or some other.)

I've checked this scenario by saving files from Chrome inside Gnome. The Save dialog is surely from Nautilus.
So, the default file browser is realy Nautilus in this case.

# The contents of ~/.config/mimeapps.list: 
[Default Applications]
inode/directory=nautilus.desktop

Though, I can run Nemo from Gnome console, both file managers coexist on the same system.
But I'm not ready to kill Cinnamon yet ))) I used to work with it too long and found it more convenient.

Any way, thank you for suggestions, @Allabulle. Of course, I'm pretty sure, that developers can not afford to test all distributives. 
Especially, when they officially prefer Ubuntu, and not promised good work experience with other distros )))

Ok. I'll wait. At least 3DCoat-2022.49 still works just fine.

• Contributor

@ymesh you are welcome! Not that I solved anything anyway, though. :)

I actually use Cinnamon quite a lot because fractional scaling with multiple monitors with different resolutions works very well.

I'm currently quite busy, but when I get the time I'd like to test if we can pin point what's exactly going on with 3DCoat and non-Nautilus file manager windows. I suspect something is wrong there and I'm confident @SERGYI will eventually fix this.

I'm just unsure with the resources available to them right now, not to mention the whole horrific situation they are forced to live in still, they'll find the time to check this out. Hence my willingness to get it from our side. Maybe if we can perfectly reproduce the issue, and point to the exact behaviour and probable cause, they may be able to fix it. Again, a lot of assumptions from me, here. Still, if it were just that, a kind of call for a file browser that isn't working if not a specific one is called seems like a not so insurmountable amount of extra work to fix.

Hey, maybe Sergyii will check it out on his own!

If at a later stage you find a way to make it work in Cinnamon please let us know here.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Allabulle said:

@ymesh There's a new Linux build (2023.2). I'd be surprised if it was fixed already, but it might be worth a try.

Ooo! I even didn't know that it possible to try beta so easliy )))  Thanks @Allabulle
But unfortunately, 2023.2 behaves the same way on Fedora 34 in regards of "Open/Save" dialogs (((

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing same issue on Fedora 35-Cinnamon edition with AwesomeWM. I will probably go with another flavor of fedora in the future but right now I don't have time to change that. Versions up to and including 2022.49 work fine.

Regarding Flatpak/Snap; I personally hate it but I can see the appeal of it when things refuse to work as they should.

Repos are my preferred way of installing apps on linux by huge margin.

Edited by kumpa