3DCoat Forums
foremancr

Linux updates news

It has been sometime since the last update for Linux.  I understand that you are moving to a native "3DCoat" build under newest Ubuntu using its latest "GCC".  This is taking sometime to get to that point.  Is there a expect date on this completion.

Hello 

About this request, please send any linux support-related questions to Sergii Kryzhanovskyi at
support.linux@3dcoat.com

Thx

Wondering why the linux version is lagging behind, I would like to use sculpt layers on ubuntu...

Any idea when we can get the latest version on linux

Thanks

Hi 

Dev team are migrating "3DCoat" onto new Visual Studio 2019 under Windows to support newest C++ 11, and fixing compatibility with CUDA under Windows after migration.

After that they will rush to build "3DCoat" under Linux.

Sorry for the delay.

• Like 3

I have asked about this about a year ago now with no Linux 3D-coat software updates.  I was told back then that you have Linux Wine software that can provide you with 3D-coat software experience.  It's not the same as 3D-coat Linux software.  The comments that are shown above doesn't show the year of the comment.  I think this has been going on for sometime now

I don't normally get peeved at these things but speaking for myself I didn't pay to use a version running under wine I paid for the native version which hasn't seen an update in a very long time.

Also, constantly being told to email 3d coat directly makes it seem like they are brushing it under the carpet and don’t want to discuss it in the open. We were initially told the native version was being worked on and converted to a new library now we are being told to use the wine version.

I am no longer optimistic there is going to be a native version going forward.

Thanks,

Andrew.

I am also getting increasing pessimistic about seeing a native Linux build again. It has been an extremely long time. If I was Pilgway, I would be a bit uncomfortable about continuing to advertise and sell Linux licences.

Having a native Linux version was a big selling point of 3D Coat for me. Admittedly, for reasons I won't go into, I actually purchased a Windows licence first. As it happens, this has worked out well for me, as I can use 3D Coat on Wine (more or less), but I would be pretty annoyed if I hadn't.

I always intended (and still do intend) to purchase a Linux licence for 3D Coat. It kind of annoys me that you have to pay an additional $40 just to add another OS but, nevertheless, I was on the cusp of doing this right when the Linux builds were stopped. I therefore held off, and have held off ever since...

I don't think Pilgway should underestimate the appeal of having a native Linux version. I am only a lowly hobbyist, but the Linux version what drew me in. In terms of sculpting, Zbrush and Mudbox aren't really an option for Linux users. In terms of painting, there is Substance Painter, but it is a pain to get running on anything other than CentOS, and I don't think it is as rich in features as 3D Coat.

3D Coat runs OK via Wine, but it will never be the ideal.

Edited by lewis2e

Thanks for the info, @Allabulle.

Lack of information ultimately leads to speculation and gives birth to gossip, so for a brief moment I had suspicions that Linux builds might have been silently dropped. Especially, if to consider that the last time we saw any news about them was on summer this year. It's good to hear that they will soon be resumed, but I hope it will happen sometime next year. :)Working with 3DC via Wine is quite cumbersome.

@SERGYI, I would greatly appreciate if the new build could respect XDG Base Directory Specification. Having to define COAT_FILES_PATH environment variable feels awkward, especially when it doesn't stop 3D Coat from creating strange directories inside the root of $HOME each time the program is launched. 3D Coat also likes to change file permissions of COAT_FILES_PATH to 777, which is something that shouldn't happen. Please give these two things a thought.