3DCoat Forums

Importing for retopo doesn't import textures

I'm working on a tutorial for 3D-Coat and need to do retopo in the fewest steps possible so I'm trying to start with Perform Retopology and Import Huge Reference mesh. The mesh imports fine but it has no texture. I suspect the reason is that Import W/O Voxilization is turned Off so the UV map is killed and no texture gets applied.

I have a deadline for this tutorial so unless there's another way I need it to be fixed.

Try this option.

Export as obj with texture (diffuse).

Files .obj and texture map must be in same folder.

set.jpg

Is everything is ok, model with textures is on retopo room (and paint room)

- If you bake, on paint Room check Surface Materials or Paint objects list if need to hide Reference mesh.

Yeah your texture won't be imported as vertex painting unless you import it without voxelization, and even with that, I tested and it worked sometimes and others it didn't import any texture. But If you want to do retopology, i would think that importing as polygons would be better than voxels anyway. and if the texture is imported as vertex paint, 11million polygons is enough to hold the texture and be able to look nice when you bake it to the retopo mesh.

But when you import an object to 3DCoat it is not the same you import from the OBJ, you can even test it by importing and exporting the model, it will not have UVs when you export it. because it became a sculpt mesh and not something where you can use the UV or something. So if you are lucky and you can get the Import for Vertex Painting/Huge Reference to do the job, I would work with that. dont go Voxels because if not you will lose the texture. then you can do the bake to the retopo and it should get the color.

Yeah I very often import scans into Surface Sculpting via the Import tool and I always get textures if I turn on Import w/o Voxilization. I've been doing that for years. The problem is that the button for Import For Retopo / Huge Models says that textures will be imported but they aren't.

I would just use the Import tool as always but I think it will be too many steps. I have to import, retopo, bake, and export in like 4 or 5 steps with max 100 words in each so I'm trying to figure out if it can be done.

I just tried importing into the paint room and it does seem to be OK on my PC however you lose all of the Auto-retopo options.

Well, I never use that retopo huge reference button, last time I tried it, it seems like it imported the model as voxels and then convert it to Surface. My model had a hole on it and it kept getting screwed like when it gets imported as voxels.

You could use File -> Import -> Import for Vertex Painting/Big reference. It seems to work just the same as using the import command. And also you can use Mesh for Vertex Painting, seems like it also imports it as Surface Sculpt object, and you only click on it and select the mesh and it imported fine the mesh with the texture... well, sometimes because I just tested all this with a 3D scanned man sample I downloaded from http://ten24.info/sample-scan/ and the decimated models import textures into 3DCoat fine (changing the obj MTL info to the correct image file). But when using the SubD version, only the first subdivision works, 2 to 6 doesn't import anything. Even 3D viewer can see the texture but not 3DCoat. So 3DCoat has some weird behaviors  around importing the texture on some cases, but it worked okay the baking of the textures when I selected decimated reference and then baked to a retopo object.

But I think this is one of the problems 3DCoat has, many buttons that do the same but has different names. and then some work and others don't like the retopo huge reference button but then you use the vertex painting one and it does a better job.