3DCoat Forums

A good sculpting matcap

Hi, recently I was giving 3d coat voxel sculpt (and a bit of surface) a go just to see how it felt (and it's quite good, but need that imbed/plane offset feature mentioned in another post :) 

As a 3-4 years long zbrush user, one thing I feel the most underwhelming in 3dcoat when it come to sculpting, is how you see the surface... and I mean , how you DON'T see the surface as you should 

let me explain, when you sculpt you don't want to be fooled visually about what the surface you sculpt on is, is it a down plane, is it a up plane, is it flat, is it bulging etc... you want a quick read of the forms. I tried many shaders and only ONE was giving decent results, and not even by default, but after removing features, it was the Matcap clay with cavity setting removed (and bulge setting removed)

So this is a decent one for those that want to sculpt (remove that cavity stuff though if not it's useless and give false read of the forms all over the place)

For this reason I created a matcap that I like a lot, and I want to share it.

This matcap was created with a few criteria in mind : Not too dark; not too bright; not too shiny; not too matt; one side a touch darker than the other (so it's more natural) half of a rim light (most important) not a lot of 'flat spots' (in particular in the shadow, that's why the rim light is important, it brake that flat spot effect a lot)

In other words, I wanted a good old basic but efficient matcap a workhorse

Download the texture, from the shader tab right click on a matcap (important it must be of matcap type not just a shader, an error I made myself) click construct new shader, put this as texture, make sure cavity setting is OFF (flat shading is ON) then in the color managment put Hue : 0 Saturation : 0 Light : 85% and then in the controls at the top of the screen once you finished the shader creation, I recommend values of 20 to 80 for contrast and 90 to 105 for primary light intensity for best results (depending of your screen settings this may vary a little but should give you the best results). Oh, and just in case, even if this is probably ovious for most users, turn cast shadows OFF if not already done (it simply does not go well with a matcap)

2019_matcap_cWarm1512x2.png

Edited by JanvierPichon
I forgot one thing
  • Like 6

• Advanced Member

I have to agree with this.  

It's really cool to have PBR shaders, and cavity/bulge settings are neat and provide a nice base for baking, but for sculpting, they are misleading at times.  Not to mention, a lot of the default shaders have their cavity/bulge settings cranked way too high and look bad as a result, the default shaders should be better curated.  It gives a poor first impression.  Glad you stuck with it and created something that works well for you.

Thanks for sharing this, I will try it out.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I have been looking for a great default zBrush-like matcap and a way to install it into 3D COAT.  Even though I absolutely love the sculpting tools and interface of 3DC, one of the things that frustrated me about 3DC was the lighting in the viewport and the way the sculpts looked when orbiting around.  Your method solves a HUUUGE block for me.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to A good sculpting matcap