3DCoat Forums

How to map and organize surfaces to objects?

ocbr

Hello all! 

I am new here in the forum. Just as an introduction, i have beem modelling 3d things for some years but mainly mechanical things for cnc (solidworks) and rendering occasionally(keyshot).
I would like to learn how to organize object surfaces to separated groups. Is is possible to create a group of objects so i can texture each group in keyshot and then back to 3d-coat to finish it up? 

When I export from 3d-coat to keyshot i can't apply different textures to parts. Is this even possible? Is it possible to bring a texture applied on keyshot back to 3d-coat and vice versa? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciqMjlQNNO4

Thanks in Advance!!!

You are showing you are hiding the objects, which means your object is made of multiple objects? well, I am sorry to tell you buy that doesn't mean anything from 3DCoat to other 3D software. I mean, it matters if you want different objects and you import it to Maya or whatever, but not if we are talking about materials, especially in a program like Keyshot that seems to be dependent on that alot.

I notice when you import your model to 3DCoat you only have one single UVSet being imported named "default". Well, when you export it, that's why the material being imported to Keyshot is called default as well.

So what you have to do is split the mesh into different UVSets for this to work, that's when you have to go to UV Room and start putting part of the model in different UVSets and either you overlap the UVs or not as needed, that's your choice and depending on the software, whatever works for you. But If you check the tab Surface Materials, you would notice that they will be the same as the UVSets you create, and the names of the UVsets are the names that each material is suppose to have in Keyshot, or that's how it should work. as long as they are in individual UVsets everything should work as you need with 3DCoat to Keyshot.

BUT... you should also check the Materials and Structure on the import dialog. If the materials is not all you need you can change the way it imports. In the video you are importing and telling Keyshot to group by materials so that's why you only get 1 object and 1 material. but reading the documentation you should be able to do more with OBJ, so you might even get what you want without creating different materials/UVSets if needed.

Materials and Structure

• Group by 
    Use this dropdown box to group the Scene Tree structure by Object (name), Material (type), Layer, Shader. Different options will show depending on file format. Group by Object/Layer retains assembly structure and naming for accuracy and flexibility. Group by Material/Shader flattens the hierarchy for a simpler tree structure by creating a single part for each material/shader.
  • Keep Individual Parts
    This option avoids merging of objects for troubleshooting purposes. It is recommended to try importing with this option disabled first to avoid excess separation of surfaces. Only available for .wire, .dwg, .dxf, .igs, .obj and .skp.
  • Assign Materials from Library
    When this is enabled materials will be auto-assigned upon import if the native CAD materials have the same name as materials in the KeyShot Library.

Edited by Emi
  • Like 1