3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Sphere brush adhering to the underlying surface (reference layer)

radionix3d

1 hour ago, radionix3d said:

Basically I want to do what this guy does - https://youtu.be/HLdI9ZT-gFI?t=2340

His sphere brush uses the head as a reference layer but I can't find this setting anywhere.

it's not using the other layer as a reference per say, only the first point, so  it will pick whatever is visible as long as you have checked "draw from first point". it is camera based so the camera alignment depends on where it goes as well. you can see it few seconds before your link, he shows how the sphere brush extends in a straight line away from the surface, because it is only the first point where you start to draw what matters and the camera alignment, so no secrets about this, he only uses it on surfaces that seem flat enough for this to work. So all you can do is align the best to make it work better, and you can uncheck "auto pick" to stop 3DCoat from selecting the sphere layer, and only the layer you want to get that first point from.

Edited by Emi

Oh yeah, it seems I didn't use Sphere Brush enough to care about being smart about it. When I tested it with Draw from first point off, I kept drawing on the same layer that was trying to use as reference. I thought this was the default behavior but it is because I had Auto Pick turned on, so hope you are turning that off. Then it will work like in the video, a small detail I forgot.

Edited by Emi

• Advanced Member

If you want to do something even cooler, you can turn your current layer to ghost and change the picking settings at the top to act, but don't pick, then you can build up nice skin around the reference mesh.

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Sphere brush adhering to the underlying surface (reference layer)