3DCoat Forums

Not possible to UV regarding to smoothing splits?

Shrike

Hey, so it seems like it is impossible to UV unwrap my meshes in regards to my smoothing splits?

It seems like it is neither possible to show smoothing splits in the viewport, nor any smoothing is shown if you are not on the render tab.

How am I supposed to make a proper unwrap?

Technically I could UV unwrap, then import again with the settings to create smoothing based on UV, although that does feel rather backwards and not really controlled, and would render all previously done smoothing splits null. Is there not a function to split islands based on smoothing splits?

Hello 

Some new features were added on latest version

2.04.2019 4.8.37

- Context sensitive RMB menu in retopo room, it is especially helpful in "Select" tool for low-poly modeling.

- Sharp edges marking in Retopo room. Baking, import/export supported.

- In UV settings you may control the default unwrapping method.

21.03.2019 4.8.36
 - Unwrap method "To stripe" polished and set as default within "Unwrap" command to be used when applicable. This method unwraps strips of quads into accurate and straight lines. Unwrap detects such cases automatically.

15.03.2019 4.8.35

- Possibility to unwrap stripe-like UV islands into straight lines. Use "UV->Selected->To Stripe".
- Running several different versions of 3D-Coat will not interfere with each other. Previously it was causing problems with Undo, eliminating cached volumes.
- FBX import without vertices welding to preserve vertex order during the export/import
- Curves got really rich update. Now it is possibly to construct many different shapes using curves in non-destructive way. Click RMB over the curve and look at the list of modifiers.

• Advanced Member

@dexsoft When you click on an edge with the Sharp Edges tool, it turns to pink color. However, when you click on UV seam, it switch from green to white.

Sometimes it can be hard to designate, especially on some of the UV checkerboard patterns. (Probably we need different width for sharp and soft edges.)

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.0ee04c09185131c08c433411d4a2eb42.jpg

Also, there are Mark as Sharp, Clear Sharp commands. They work on previously selected edges.

Screenshot_3.jpg.3892ec09a9443d5ed2eea32dd80de4fc.jpg